From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

diskdiddler

Wizard
Relax he's just offering help.

MutoSan

Contributor
I am relaxed and no he is not offering help just trying to cover his fundament with the second post by asking for a specific version, even as I wrote that I installed it after the migration. Which implicit that I installed it from the shop inside Truenas. But it looks like people to not read and dont see whats obvious. Not to speak of that he is correcting/beeing a teacher again in the second post. And all that just because I wanted to share something which I thought is somewhat funny. But lesson learned wont share anything anymore here.

ornias

Wizard
Dude, here is to tell a story NOT to ask for help.
Thats fine, but that doesn't mean people aren't going to try and help you if you report something doesn't work as adverticed.
(not that anything is advertised yet, but thats a whole other story ;) )

If I would have need to ask for help, I would open a new thread in the correct place or look for a similar one.
Ofcoarse, i'm not suggesting you are. I'm saying it's quite unworkable to say something doesn't work and not give enough information for people to figure out why it doesn't work. I'm not saying you have to accept help, but it would be nice to describe things in a way others would be helped (which is the goal of this thread imho). Same with the right version: It helps to fully describe an issue, thats why I corrected you on the versioning.

Chill out and stop harrasing me.
I'm not harassing you, i'm responding to something you wrote. Even if I would call you all sorts of names, that wouldn't even qualify as "harasment", thats just being "rude" or other forms of "not nice behavior". The difference being the frequency of communication.

I'm also quite chill, because I honestly don't give a flying duck about you. I need to care about something to care enough to not-be-chill about it ;)
i think you are mistaking a thorough explaination for someone not being "chill"

I did not write ANYTHING of a bug or likewise. You might reread the title of the thread.
Well, jails not being upgradable as "advertised" would be considered a bug. Because they are supposed to. Even in this thread it's not strange to correct people for mistakes they made in their report. Which is important for obvious reasons.

And please try your suggestion for yourself.
Actually I already did. Just because someone ignored things your said or explains things too thoroughly, does not make someone rude.
I'll try one more time: Dear sir/madam, I request you change your attitude towards me. There is no reason to be rude, just because I corrected you on a minor mistake.

*edit*

I am relaxed and no he is not offering help just trying to cover his fundament with the second post by asking for a specific version, even as I wrote that I installed it after the migration.

I didn't ask for a specific version in a second post, I described why I corrected you. I also don't really get what you meant with the migrations part of this sentence.

Which implicit that I installed it from the shop inside Truenas.
That could've been the beta, but just because of the timeframe was indeed the RC. I corrected you just because not everyone keeps track of time, just to keep things readable. No bad intend.
(I'll ignore the fact there isn't a "shop" inside FreeNAS, guess thats a translation thing)

Not to speak of that he is correcting/beeing a teacher again in the second post.
Indeed I am, I correct people when they are wrong and try to teach people something.
Sometimes lessons are easy (if people want to learn), sometimes they are not (because people dont want to).
That isn't stopping me and a lot of other members hear to try regardless.

But lesson learned wont share anything anymore here.
Lets end this with another lesson:
You can't decide if/when other people are going to explain something to you, correct you or educate you on a forum that is focused around sharing experiences and teaching eachother.

If you really don't want such a reply, I sadly come to the same conclusion as you just did: Maybe don't post it next time.
Thats not because I don't want you to post, actually I do, but because you are only frustration both yourself and the people that respond to you.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
<Moderator hat>
I'm sure everyone here is acting in good faith and that sometimes what is written may accidentally sound unfriendly. Let's not jump at each other's throats because this or that choice of words was less fortunate.
</Moderator hat>

ornias

Wizard
<Moderator hat>
I'm sure everyone here is acting in good faith and that sometimes what is written may accidentally sound unfriendly. Let's not jump at each other's throats because this or that choice of words was less fortunate.
</Moderator hat>
I really now have to feel offended about your suggestion virtualbox nesting works similairly to bhyve... just because of...

Okey all jokes aside, yes there is an option to enable it... I think somewhere close to the cpu, uefi and platform settings.

szdravkov

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I'll share my observations after two weeks of using TrueNAS 12 RC1 :).
Update went pretty smooth, pool updated, deduplication enabled and etc.
No other issues are present except strange behavior with ONE virtual machine.

Following types of VMs, started after update without or with some minor issues - Windows 10, Ubuntu 16, CentOS 6 (GRUB was broken) and RHEL 7 (EFI issues). However one of my VMs doesn't want to start, I've tried whatever I know - rescue mode, single user mode, Super GRUB2 disk, chroot and etc., no success. This VM is running Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and after passing the GRUB phase and starting with the usual boot process VNC got disconnected and VM crashes with below entry in messages:

(bhyve), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11

After few tests I noticed that even trying to deploy new VM with SLES OS is impossible. I've tried with version 12 and 15. After hitting enter on install screen it crashes in ~10sec with the same error.
Booting into single/rescue mode it's saying it cannot see it's local drive. It's using virtio zvol like all other VMs and it was working before update. If I put/remove some extra args to kernel line in GRUB, it's loading without crash but became unresponsive as well as libvirtd. VM operations via GUI throws a message:

"CallError" [EFAULT] Failed to connect to libvirt"

Only hard reboot helps. ISO files were tested on different platform and install works without problems.
Does anyone of you faced such strange and specific issue?

Specs:
CPU: Xeon e5-2650v3
MEM: 32Gb ECC
3x2Tb Crucial SSDs in RAIDZ1

Thanks in advance !

hescominsoon

Patron
i am having virtualization disconnection issues and middleware crashing. Got tickets open for both..and they are being worked..:) Otherwsie(other than samba acl's) everything is looking decent.

hescominsoon

Patron
let's say I've been told it's a feature....it works as designed.....

zeos10000

Cadet
I have FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2 running on two HP Proliant Microservers. I also run Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Sabnzbd and Transmission plug-ins.

I am quite keen to upgrade to the TrueNAS Core 12 Beta train as soon as I can, but I am obviously a bit weary about rushing in if there are problems. I have been checking the forum since the Beta was released last week looking for feedback on the upgrade. So far the only issue I have seen is with a Plex Server installation that sounds a non-standard configuration.

The trouble is that users only tend to post when they have problems, not when the upgrade goes smoothly.

So this is your opportunity to report your upgrade experiences, good or bad, and instill some confidence in to those of us who haven't bitten the bullet yet.

I am hoping I will wake up to lots of replies when I get up in the morning.

Tony Self

Hi Tony,
I hope you can help or point me in the right direction about a recent issue that I encountered when i upgraded from the latest Freenas 11.3 to Truenas 12 RC0.
File access works well, which is very good, but suddenly there is an issue getting plex to run.
First, plex will not start. When I attempt to start plex, I see a brief screen showing "console" and it disappears and plex still has not started.
Then when I attempt to do a 'update' I get an error message screnn that says:
Error: Major ABI change detected, please run 'upgrade' instead.

I am attaching a doc which shows screenprints of the errors.

BTW, i just joined the forum and I sent this same info to JoshDW who sent me a welcome post. I have not heard back from him and perhaps that was not the best way to ask for help on this issue so I am reaching out to you here.

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you could provide.

Best regards,
Steve Leonowicz

Attachments

• debug-freenas2-20201014112312.tgz
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
  • Plex Error Screenshots 2.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Plex Error Screenshots.pdf
    563.4 KB · Views: 801

Nuts4Free

Cadet
Hi,
I have just updated my FreeNAS server. I have had little problems with my jails. I had to adjust devfs_ruleset from 5 (not existing in default ruleset) to 4. I had not previously set these settings manually. Another thing were upgrading my jails.

I had following error

Code:
root@freenas # iocage upgrade -r 12.0-RELEASE <jail_name>
tmpcmozh_pj: SERVERNAME must be given via command line or configuration file.

I have found out that empty freebsd-update.conf cause the problem. I have fixed it by:
Code:
cp /mnt/Vol1/iocage/jails/<jail_name>/root/var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/freebsd-update.conf /mnt/Vol1/iocage/jails/<jail_name>/root/etc

My main concern were my encrypted GELI pools but they were recogniced and integrated. So a few more tests and propably I keep this release.

Best regards
Andy

xenu

Dabbler
Just updated to TrueNas coming from Freenas 11.3-U5. Everything is looking good - Pools, NFS Sharing, Sync Tasks, LDAP & Kerberos.
Only issue is the reporting tab not showing any graphs when using ix-Dark theme. Interestingly this theme also makes reporting page bug out (it's empty) when switching to anything other than CPU. Also switching to "Settings -> Preferences" does not work directly from such a "bugged" page. I have to first move to a working page before being able to switch to preferences. Using 'midnight' theme now and no issues.

sretalla