From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

diskdiddler

Wizard
Therefore, I could map it but it might be very foolish as they're my system usb keys?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Therefore, I could map it but it might be very foolish as they're my system usb keys?
Agree that would be dangerous and unlikely to work. Better to add a separate USB controller..... if it is possible in your situation.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Sounds like I need to go back to the jail idea and figure out the correct devfs= command and what have you!

Tony-1971

Contributor
Upgrade from last 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 RC (pool not yet upgraded)
It seems all working without problems (SMB, NFS and ISCSI)
Thanks

Best Regards,
Antonio

Dohmar

Dabbler
Upgraded 2 days ago.
Had major issues - GELI isnt supported in the new OS so I was unable to import my encrypted Mirrored Pool
Found a workaround, that you can go to the shell and run "geli attach -k <keyfile> /drive/partition" and it'll decrypt
The main problem I found, is that the config backups have not been backing up the geli information since march.
This is really stupid. I get that it is deprecated but if someone is backing up a currently working config, it should contain everything relevant.
This is important - I had 2 backups from the last few months, but I had one from Feb which DID contain my geli key.
With that I was able to decrypt the drives manually in shell then import the pool, copy my data to an unencrypted share, destroy the GELI pool and make a new pool with native encryption. A message to IX - some foresight here wouldn't have gone astray. I know its my own fault for not reading the migration process but I also assumed that when I clicked all of the dialogues when backing up my config, that the geli keys would be part of that db export. I would know why this was changed?

Second - there is a condition that prevents the config from importing after boot if it is over a given size. The bug has been noted by IX and will be fixed soon I'm sure, but it threw me for a loop for a couple of days - SMB shares weren't working, reporting wasn't working, middleware was crashing but it all seems to be settled and operating nicely. I've noticed SMB file xfer improvements, my plex jail simply 'just works' and my bhyved pfsense is running much faster than before.

I've learnt a lot over the past couple of days. First is, if you have encrypted anything, back that stuff up before doing anything
Also, don't upgrade your pool because you 'think' everything is OK. Wait a few days. I tried to revert but couldn't so I got stuck with 12. While everything ended up OK for me, it could have been worse. Backup everything before doing anything.

Really keen to see the final release. Loving the work IX and everyone has been doing. I hope I can continue to help in any way I can

ApolloDS

Dabbler
I did an upgrade from FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS 12.0-RC1.
System was working, but I had no ip address active.
Services could not be started after.
Maybe it is because of my LAGG configuration with two interfaces?
The migration could not be finished.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I don't suppose anyone knows if we'll see an RC2 just in case?

mauritsl

Dabbler
For me the upgrade is not ok: Iscsi is slow so back to the 11 version and hope they will fix it in the final release.

Junicast

Patron

ornias

Wizard
I've no problem with iscsi from TrueNAS Core RC to Windows 10...
I do use Primocache locally to spread peak loads and limit IO though...

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thus far there's nothing on Jira showing an expected RC2

MutoSan

Contributor
From what I have read, I believe you have to update the jails once you have done the upgrade to TrueNAS Core 12. The only trouble is once you have updated the jails, they won't work if you roll back to FreeNAS.

This is the main reason I am holding back on upgrading myself.
Funny story. I updated to Truenas 12 RC1 by accident. Somehow these things should not be done when someone is tiered :D So I logged in to my freenas 11.3U3 and saw ah there are some updates. Somehow it saved the last time when I was checking if Truenas is now over Beta. I pressed on update and voila. The update itself went smooth and very fast. I only realized it when I saw the new dashboard. Not even with the login. So of course I tried to update the Jails but Emby failed and so did owncloud. But they still run without problems. Next day I started reading but could not find a solution yet. So I wait now until RC2
or later until this is fixed or I will reinstall them. Will be a pain as I have no clue with owncloud how this is going.

Today I tried to install Asgira as I am looking for a backup system for me at home and also for my parents PC/Laptops which life about 1h car drive away from me. But this also failed. Seams either all plugins are not ready yet or my system migration went not entirely well.

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
Uhmm TrueNAS is RC, not BETA stage for quite a while by now....

MutoSan

Contributor
Uhmm TrueNAS is RC, not BETA stage for quite a while by now....
Really? Thats all you got out of the story? Even if it is RC1 its still beta status in my eyes. My system is plain stock no encryption, no special setup nothing. Still the update went not well, so its beta for me. But suit yourself by correcting others over minor things/mistakes.

ornias

Wizard
Thats all you got out of the story?

Yes that about all I got from the story. "can't update plugin" is pretty irrelevant because you never explained anything about it. It could just as well be user error, because you gave no information to lead me to conclude otherwise. So I ignored it, which i'm free to. You're not entitled to a response dear sir/madame.

Did you try:
iocage upgrade emby -r 12.1-RELEASE

Even if it is RC1 its still beta status in my eyes.

Actually RC one is closer to what was preciously considered a release build. The versioning changed between FreeNAS and TrueNAS.

But suit yourself by correcting others over minor things/mistakes.

When reporting a bug, it's pretty relevant and major to state the right version.

However, I would like to suggest you change your tone a bit. There really is no need to be rude if people don't want to discuss something you said.

adrianwi

Guru
I'm still not feeling brave enough, although have thought about it a couple of times!

I have 6 jails and 5 VMs that will cause me a world of pain if they don't update nicely. Sounds like I only have about a month or so to find my big-boy pants though :smile:

ornias

Wizard
I'm still not feeling brave enough, although have thought about it a couple of times!

I have 6 jails and 5 VMs that will cause me a world of pain if they don't update nicely. Sounds like I only have about a month or so to find my big-boy pants though :smile:
You could try duplicating your setup (some vm's and jails) in virtualbox and try the update there first ;)

diskdiddler

Wizard

I have 3 VMs - no jails, they all worked perfectly, I was very surprised to be honest.
I've got zstd now, so my /vm/ pool is using a lot less space than it was too. (with a little send / recv work)

Overall it's been quite smooth, pretty impressed.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You could try duplicating your setup (some vm's and jails) in virtualbox and try the update there first ;)
Can VirtualBox do nested virtualisation?

MutoSan

Contributor
Yes that about all I got from the story. "can't update plugin" is pretty irrelevant because you never explained anything about it. It could just as well be user error, because you gave no information to lead me to conclude otherwise. So I ignored it, which i'm free to. You're not entitled to a response dear sir/madame.

Did you try:
iocage upgrade emby -r 12.1-RELEASE

Actually RC one is closer to what was preciously considered a release build. The versioning changed between FreeNAS and TrueNAS.

When reporting a bug, it's pretty relevant and major to state the right version.

However, I would like to suggest you change your tone a bit. There really is no need to be rude if people don't want to discuss something you said.
Dude, here is to tell a story NOT to ask for help. If I would have need to ask for help, I would open a new thread in the correct place or look for a similar one. Chill out and stop harrasing me. I did not write ANYTHING of a bug or likewise. You might reread the title of the thread. And please try your suggestion for yourself.