FreeNAS VMWare datastore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhejek

Dabbler
I am new in vmware.
I want to build vmware with FreeNAS as datastore.
How can I build FreeNAS mirror data store as failover scenario?
Replication scenario is not what I expected.

best regard
vicky

Last edited by a moderator:

kdragon75

Wizard
You would need to buy a TrueNAS appliance from iXSystems. Otherwise, replication is about the best you will get from a FREE pre packaged GUI based storage system.

mhejek

Dabbler
You would need to buy a TrueNAS appliance from iXSystems. Otherwise, replication is about the best you will get from a FREE pre packaged GUI based storage system.
i mention truenas,and i ever tried reach them.i got reseprentative from asian .but i never get quotation.its hard to get truenas here in indonesia

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
It can be done but let me preface my comments by saying this is not a 'supported' FreeNAS configuration and there will be lots of people who bark at me; but, here's how my system is setup.

I run vCenter 6.7 with ESXi 6.5 across 6 clustered hosts. My hosts are too old to run ESXi 6.7 so I'm stuck at 6.5.

I run FreeNAS on two different, large hosts chalk full of drives with iSCSI running and all the VMware hosts mount both iSCSI datastores from both NAS's.

I then use VMware HA (which keep's the VM's running on 2+ hosts and sync'd in both datastores).

All most hosts have 10Gb cards for iSCSI/vMotion traffic and standard 1Gb cards for network access.

Yes, I know this is not a direct solution for what you're asking; but it's a way to get there without going into a TrueNAS box.

Hope it helps.

-b

mhejek

Dabbler
It can be done but let me preface my comments by saying this is not a 'supported' FreeNAS configuration and there will be lots of people who bark at me; but, here's how my system is setup.

I run vCenter 6.7 with ESXi 6.5 across 6 clustered hosts. My hosts are too old to run ESXi 6.7 so I'm stuck at 6.5.

I run FreeNAS on two different, large hosts chalk full of drives with iSCSI running and all the VMware hosts mount both iSCSI datastores from both NAS's.

I then use VMware HA (which keep's the VM's running on 2+ hosts and sync'd in both datastores).

All most hosts have 10Gb cards for iSCSI/vMotion traffic and standard 1Gb cards for network access.

Yes, I know this is not a direct solution for what you're asking; but it's a way to get there without going into a TrueNAS box.

Hope it helps.

-b
can you show me how to make two datastore sync each other.

kdragon75

Wizard
Nope. Nope. Nope. HA reboots VMs in a host isolation, host down, or storage down situation. It DOES NOT replicate, copy, or run VMs on two host.
Fault tolerance can run VMs in "lockstep" on two hosts and clone storage but that last part is new in 6.7 but your hosts are 6.5

kdragon75

Wizard
You could use a VMware Replication appliance but that's still not true live sync. The min. RPO is 5 minutes.

mhejek

Dabbler
You could use a VMware Replication appliance but that's still not true live sync. The min. RPO is 5 minutes.
bit irony.using share storage is nicely done migration with vmotion.vmware replication is dalayed 5 min.than real question is . how make share storage with redundency

kdragon75

Wizard
how make share storage with redundency
Not with FreeNAS. Look into Enterprise Storage OS (ESOS). You can setup a true storage cluster on a shared set of disks. Keep in mind if you want easy and true datastore redundancy you will pay big $$$$$$$$$$

kdragon75

Wizard

kdragon75

Wizard
using share storage is nicely done migration with vmotion
vMotion does not do anything with storage. It relies on shared storage but will not move storage.
Storage vMotion can relocate a running VMs storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.