FreeNAS Server not reading drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awol

Cadet
Hi All

I'm new to FreeNAS, I've poked around the GUI before and read up on some trouble shooting. Might not have searched thoroughly but can't find a solution to my problem.

We have a FreeNAS server V9.2.1.7 in raid 1 with 2 1TB drives. The one drive fails on boot that you need to press F1 to continue, when FreeNAS boots it's stuck in a loop with the error below and the web GUI does not load.

CAM status: ATA Status Error
ATA status: 51 (DRDY SERV ERR), error: 84 (ICRC ABRT )
RES: 51 84 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 f0 00
Retrying command

I've removed the drive and replaced it with a similar sized drive, in the FreeNAS web GUI the new drive shows in Show disks, and does show the old volume but with Status Unowned. If i import the new drive as ZFS volume it shows the same status and I cant extend the original volume to the new disk.

Is there something I'm doing seriously wrong?

gpsguy

STOP - don't try to extend the volume. That will create additional problems. See the docs for replacing a disk.

I am sure you'll get some other replies soon. I can't type a full reply from my phone.

Awol

Cadet
Thank you gpsguy. I've read through the replace disk steps in the documentation. I could not remove or replace disk because Freenas does not reach the point where the GUI is loaded. So I removed the disk physically that is causing the issues and with the one old disk and the new one it's booting completely and I can access the GUI. But in the GUI it's not showing any other disks apart from the new one even though it's detected in the bois. In view active volumes it's showing the Raid volume that used to be there, as far as I can remember. I've included some screenshots, one of the active volumes, one showing the disk and one with the system config.

Attachments

• Freenas1.PNG
    Freenas1.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 248
  • View Disk1.PNG
    View Disk1.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 257
  • system.PNG
    system.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.