FreeNAS randomly hanging and crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Hi

As of about two days ago I have started having some pretty major issues with my FreeNAS server, it has now just randomly decided to hang and slowly crash at points in the day, its happened about 4 times now. I can't see any pattern in what is causing it yet, I have been looking at the periodic pool scrub, my transmission plugin and a warning that I have seen in the logs but have not gotten very far.

-The crashes started on 31st December around the same time a periodic scrub would have been occurring
-My transmission plugin started playing up at the same time and has not been working very well since
-I have noticed a recurring warning message appearing in the logs "Jan 3 14:17:52 AlphaServer daemon[3074]: 2018/01/03 14:17:52 [WARN] agent: Check 'service:nas-health' is now warning"
-Upon searching my active processes I found this - "3074 root 1 20 0 6344K 2236K piperd 1 0:00 0.00% daemon"

I have also saved two debug dumps if anyone needs them to help.

To describe what happens, basically bit by bit the server begins to stop working so for example the last time, transmission stopped responding and then I couldn't access the web interface for it, I went to the FreeNAS web interface to restart the jail, and it was acting very sluggish until the FreeNAS web interface stopped responding. I then went over to the console to restart it, told it to shutdown and it failed to shutdown, the shutdown process was terminated by "watchdogd" I think, and then it just sat in limbo doing nothing until I hard reset it.

I am at a loss as to what to do at this point. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Spencer

P.S Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

It's worth creating a report at bugs.freenas.org that includes your debugs. Post the issue number here (though it will be hidden from others until the dev has a chance to review the debug info).

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
It's worth creating a report at bugs.freenas.org that includes your debugs. Post the issue number here (though it will be hidden from others until the dev has a chance to review the debug info).
Already have, in fact i think you're the one who's already started dealing with it ahaha

Bug #27594

toadman

Guru
Interesting. That bug is not visible to me. -93 and -95 are there. No -94.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That bug is not visible to me.
Bugs that include a debug file should be marked private by default (though for a while, at least, they weren't--bug 27400).

toadman

Guru
Bugs that include a debug file should be marked private by default (though for a while, at least, they weren't--bug 27400).

Thanks, that makes total sense. I was not aware of that previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.