Freenas on ESX - RDM disk, VMDK disk and S.M.A.R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4rv1n

Explorer
Hi,
I've a microserver G8 from HP, it work very well and I decided to use also with freenas.
The server have 1 microsd slot to boot esx , 1 sata ODD with 2.5 hard disk for primary datastore (put the image or the link) and 4 sata with 3.5 2TB drive.
I was using this disk with Windows server and RDM disk (passed with vmkfstools -z ) , I tried to use those disk with freenas, it report smart information but it report also dimension zero for the disk, after this I tried with vmkfstools -r and it work for the size but without smart information.
I had search in the forum and saw is not good to use RDM with freenas (also not good to use virtualization) , so I stopped tryng RDM and start with normal vmdk disk v.5. I've only this server doing other things so I have to use virtualization. In this mode, I also don't have smart information.
How can I have smart information passed in freenas?
The vsphere version is 5.5U2.
Please, not interested in buying new hardware, is crazy in 2014 to be limited from hardware and virtualization.
Thanks to all

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Literally, the answer is "buy new hardware". If you read up on our stickies for virtualization there's a laundry list of reasons why we do NOT recommend it.

It should be somewhat obvious that the answers won't be pleasant as the forum rules say the following:

Topics that are likely to go unanswered: Some topics tend to be ignored either because they are already explained thoroughly in forum stickies and the documentation or they regularly turn into arguments about technology.

These topics include:

• Virtualization of FreeNAS on Type-1 Hypervisors such as ESXi, XenServer, and Hyper-V. In short, if you can't do this without help, you shouldn't be doing it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.