Freenas not reading cores correctly/Performance questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
Appearently I just hit something I shouldn't have and now Freenas says across my 2 2670's I have 32 cores on the dashboard. When I open a vm it still limits me to 16 cores, as expected, but I look at system monitoring programs, things get a bit funky. If the cores per package is set to 8 and threads per core is 1, I get 8 cores, 8 threads, and 2cpus, for a total of 16 cores/threads . When I change the threads per core to 2, I get 8 cores, 16 threads, on 1 cpu. I am trying to figure out how to use the hyperthreading (if possible), or at least get everything balanced correctly. If you can't use hyperthreading, then the 2 cpus and 8cores/threads makes sense.

Loaders added:
hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package=8
hw.vmm.topology.threads_per_core=1

I reset my bios and changed any recent Freenas settings back to their original state, but it still says 32 cores. Is there something that might have caused this issue?

As for performance, I believe this is closely related to the above topic. In my current config, dealing with the issues stated, I'm getting a bit above half the performance seen by a dual 2670 setup. It might be because it is a VM, but I hope not.

Passmark: 11683
Cinebench: 1189

Specs:
Freenas 11.2
2X xeon 2670
Asus Z9PA-D8
64gb ddr3 ecc ram
norco 4224 chassis
intel X550-T2 NIC
Intel RES2SV240
LSI 9240-8i (flahed to 9211-8i it mode)
6 8TB WD white hdd's