Freenas + NextCloud + Vdev

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Howdy People,

I finally got my freenas server up and running (figuratively and kind of literally).

I have a quick question - I might have the answer to but I just want to be sure.
I set up the freenas server with mirroring drives and a pool with two datasets one for Nextcloud and a SMB share so i can use for my windows 10.

Might be a silly question but i'll ask any way.
F.Y.I I take take snapshots of my pool (which house the two datasets) I want make sure when i put files in the nextcloud share they are being backed up just in case something happens and i can't use Nextcloud any more. Now in that event are those files still accessible if i create a SMB share for the dataset the nextcloud is using and be able to access those files ??

I would think so but i'm not sure if they are encrypted or something which would only work with that nextcloud instance.

garm

Wizard
I wouldn’t do that, in the Nextcloud manual there is a chapter on backup. Write a script that backups the database, the data directory and the web application from FreeNAS, or just take snapshots of the whole thing. Store the backup appropriately and practice rebuilding.

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Howdy Garm,

Thanks for the response but i'm not sure what you mean by you wouldn't do that, you wouldn't do what and you mean take a snapshot of the whole thing being the whole pool(which should be backed up anyway) or the nextcloud dataset ?

I don't mind backing up the nextcloud vdev my main question is would i be able to access it if anything happens in case of emergency whatever that may be.