FreeNAS iSCSI Initiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Guys I am new here and I am having trouble setting up the FreeNAS iSCSI initiator to connecto to my Equallogics.

I want to manage one of my Volumes so that multiple users and access and share files, SAP and Oracle installation medias, etc.

I followed the following guide http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/freebsd-iscsi-initiator-howto/ in order to set it up, and although I can see the Volumes being discovered, when I start the session using:
iscontrol -c /etc/iscsi.conf -n nameiscsiconfig # the name being what you have set up in the /etc/iscsi.conf file.

iscontrol just locks up and I cant start a session.

I was wondering whether there's a way to look up for for the latest version of iscontrol on FreeBSD's repositories.
Does anybody have a similar setup and has had trouble setting it up?

Regards,

Mrcio Cattini

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pretty sure FreeNAS isn't set up to be an iSCSI initiator. It'll happily act as an iSCSI target though.

J

James

8.2 ships with iscontrol. It is a kernel module (i.e. not external software), so not really a way to look up the version. Anything useful written to /var/log/messages?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Odd, I would have thought that "iscsi_initiator.ko" was the kernel module and "iscontrol(8)" was merely the userland component that controlled it. I don't see "iscsi_initiator.ko" in /boot, and I don't see it compiled in, assuming that "http://support.freenas.org/browser/freenas/trunk/nanobsd/FREENAS.amd64" is an accurate representation of the FreeNAS kernel build, so my guess is that iscontrol(8) is poor at reporting that it's unable to find and load the kernel module it needs to work, which is a problem that's been seen several times over the years with FreeBSD and specialized kernel modules.

Are you saying this is supposed to work? If so, how? There would be some usefulness in FreeNAS being able to act as an initiator, though I understand the "pure NAS/SAN server" approach that's been alluded to in the past.

J

James

"kldload iscsi_initiator" does load (at least on 8.2beta4). Just to confirm: you've loaded the driver and added your declaration block to iscsi.conf? Any messages on the console or in /var/log/messages?

majala

Cadet
I have the same problem. Has anyone managed to set up FreeNAS as iSCSI initiator?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS doesn't support iscsi initiator. It might be doable with rework under the hood, but definitely not in the GUI.

majala

Cadet
Thanks yeah I figured. Guess I'm looking for the more crpytic CLI answer if there is one

Status
Not open for further replies.