FreeNAS doesn't like my NVMe anymore :(

profzelonka

Explorer
Attached.

When I initially added the device as a pool, I got a similar error about the device, but it worked on retry. My server worked until my PSU died and my mobo's sata ports stopped working so I upgraded the motherboard. Now on my new motherboard, my HDDs and SSD both work fine, but the NVMe doesn't want to import in FreeNAS. :( Tried in M.2 slot and PCIE card slot, same result. Went thru bios, can't see any settings that would impact this NVMe...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_232645.jpg
    IMG_20200703_232645.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 267

profzelonka

Explorer
Some technical info:
512GB WD Black PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe SSD
Mobo: Asus Z97-A

Can't get FreeNAS to boot without the above attached errors. If I take it out of the mobo, everything is fine.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Intel NVME device? Do a firmware update. We had the very same problem with our main FreeNAS servers @work.
Additionally make sure you run at least 11.3-U3.2, Warner Losh fixed a lot abot the NVME subsystem that is not in e.g. 11.2.
If all else fails try TrueNAS Core 12.0 beta, but don't upgrade your pools so you can rollback.

HTH,
Patrick

profzelonka

Explorer
Intel NVME device? Do a firmware update. We had the very same problem with our main FreeNAS servers @work.
Additionally make sure you run at least 11.3-U3.2, Warner Losh fixed a lot abot the NVME subsystem that is not in e.g. 11.2.
What do you mean by a firmware update? Bios is up to date. Is there firmware for the NVMe device itself somewhere?
The pool was made on 11.2 (or maybe 11.3-U1?), FreeNAS version I'm running now is latest.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If it's Intel devices, yes, there are firmware updates for NVME drives and that fixed the problem for us. BTW, Samsung, Crucial ... all the same. Regular firmware updates to fix drive issues.

profzelonka

Explorer
Fixed it! Ran WD's firmware software (SSD Dashboard), updated firmware. NVMe loads fine!

Only problem now is that my jails/plugins don't show up. Could it be because the system ran on 11.3-U1? Now the system version is 11.3-U3.2. Is there a manual way to update to get my plugins/jails back?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The jail subsystem changed from warden to iocage in 11.3-U3. Try running the migration script /usr/local/sbin/migrate_warden.py.

profzelonka

Explorer
I figured it was worth just going back to U1 to avoid other possible issues, but to my surprise after powering up the jails/plugins were still gone. Once I re-selected the pool it took a bit and half the jails appeared, did it again and the rest were discovered too. All good!!

Thank you @Patrick M. Hausen I learned something new!