FreeNAS crash, stuck on Auto Import Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should verify that before you actually put it in use. Without SMART you will have problems when a disk starts failing as you often won't be able to figure out which disk is failing. markw78 on IRC has spent the last week trying to figure out which of his disks are bad and he's finally given up and buying an M1015 so he can find out. LOL.

titan_rw

Guru
The i3-2100 I believe will not support ECC. I think it's only i3-3xxx and i3-4xxx series.

I could be wrong.

statik

Explorer
This is kind of vague, but it basically says that it depends on you mobo. So, in my case I would assume it would because my CPU being a second gen i3 is compatible with the SuperMicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O mobo. lol why can't they just give a straight answer...

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei3/sb/CS-031175.htm#10
blueminus-toggle.gif

Does the Intel® Core™ i3 Processor support Error Correction Code (ECC) memory?
The Intel® Core™ i3 Desktop Processors and the desktop boards that support these processors typically do not support ECC memory. ECC memory is usually used on servers and workstations, rather than on desktop platforms. This is mainly due to the price premium of ECC memory. Check with your desktop board manufacturer to see if ECC memory is enabled on your board.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You need 3 things for ECC to be supported and function with Intel:

1. Server chipset supporting ECC
2. CPU supporting ECC
3. RAM is ECC.

I know some i3s do ECC, but its kind of a secret handshake which ones. I always forget which ones that aren't listed. If you have any doubts then you should just buy a CPU that actually lists ECC support. The Pentium G2020 supports ECC and is a common CPU for home users looking for a cheap but sufficiently powerful CPU to get the job done.

statik

Explorer
yeah, I will just buy that mobo with a compatible cpu. Sell my curent mobo and cpu as a combo on ebay. I will sell here in England and with the exchange rate il make out even... =]

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.