FreeNAS-Change-Logging Script For Persistent Logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

jag3773

Cadet
Hello,

FreeNAS-Change-Logging script will change the location of the logging on your FreeNAS box. This is helpful if you want persistent logging but do not have a remote syslog sever.

Code and instructions are at https://github.com/jag3773/FreeNAS-Change-Logging.

I have tested this on FreeNAS 8.0.4 successfully. I will try on 8.2 soon. Let me know if you have any problems with this script.

nokeabue

Dabbler
that´s great! it will be excellent notice for the gui people!

jag3773

Cadet
Just noting that this script has been tested and found to be working with FreeNAS 8.04 - 8.3.1.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
I just installed this yesterday on my system (running 8.3.1-p2). Seems to have worked fine.

One question however: I didn't receive my daily status/security emails today. Though I saw it mentioned somewhere that this script makes changes to how those emails are handled, it wasn't obvious to me when looking at the script how it did so.

Does it somehow change the status emails to only come if there is a problem? How is this done, and where can I revert this change if needed?

Sorry if this is obvious, still learning...

jag3773

Cadet
The script does disable those emails, following the general Unix trend of no news is good news. The output of those emails is still available in the logs, see /var/log/daily.log and /var/log/security.log.

Actual problems on your system should still generate an email, as those come from different scripts ( like /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/alert.py).

I will go ahead and make this a bit more clear in the README.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
Thanks. I did notice that I don't get an email regarding security issues (failed SU, failed login, bad password, etc) because they go into the security log and don't trigger any other scripts it appears.

Yatti420

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should put a step by step guide in the Guides section of the forum, or make a PBI for it. :)

Yatti420

Wizard
Learning as I go.. I'm trying to get minirsyslogd to run automatically when the jail launches (with appropriate options). Finishing getting all my clients to talk to the collector.. It's rather easy once you find the syslog configuration for most operating systems.. I was thinking if this works good to create a pbi/how to at the minimum if its easy.. I probably should of looked closer at syslogd/rsyslogd.. there are some different variations in use it looks like depending on OS.. I probably could of used the syslog built-in to the basic jail setup.. I wanted to ensure I could install non-pbi stuff.. I accomplished that no issues with the freenas documentation available..

Some nice storms coming through right now so time for a break..

I noticed in the GUI if I add syslog server it adds (freenas usb) /etc/syslog.conf *.* @"your syslog gui input" to send via UDP by default port 514.. So I must be doing something right.. I have a thread on this here..

Status
Not open for further replies.