FreeNas Build Questions

Pelasgians

Cadet
Hello fellow FreeNasers,

Build Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zj3Lp8

What i Plan to use this build for:
Backing up my PC (My PC has a capacity of 3 TB of data and i need somewhere to put 3TB of data. I have a 1 TB SSD for OS and a few games, and 2 1 TB HD's running in Raid 0 that has mainly my steamgames (Nothing i can't replace with time).
Maybe run a plex server with between 1-3 1080P Streams
All of the drives need to be encrypted and i plan to run a Raid 5 setup with those 4 drives with the possibility of up to 8 which leads me to questions

Questions:
Does FreeNAS support PCI 3 x1 sata cards incase i want to add more drives
Does FreeNas have decent Ryzen support and does it support HW Transcoding with a 8 GB RX580 i have laying around collecting dust
Can i get away with this budget CPU with AES Acceleration if in fact FreeNas supports GPU Offloading to a RX 580.
How important is ECC memory for just home use?

Future Setup:
I might end up adding 4 more drives in another Raid 5 Config, but that won't be until i need more space. It will be mainly just be me using this to backup stuff.

John Doe

Guru
in this part list is not a single part which I would chose.

from my point there is too much stuff to be repeated in terms of "which hardware"
you will find it in every 10th thread in this forum.

but in regards to ECC:
freenas without ECC is as safe as any other enterprise OS without ECC.
the only advantage, freenas can handle ECC ram in a very good way and correct bitflips or will at least notify you.
I have several pictures which are corrupt I assume this was happening during the time I have used windows server.

Is it required/ crucial : NO!
is it beneficial: Yes!
cost/benefit ratio is very good, you are not paying much more for ECC ram

bytesontheroad

Dabbler
in this part list is not a single part which I would chose.

from my point there is too much stuff to be repeated in terms of "which hardware"
you will find it in every 10th thread in this forum.

but in regards to ECC:
freenas without ECC is as safe as any other enterprise OS without ECC.
the only advantage, freenas can handle ECC ram in a very good way and correct bitflips or will at least notify you.
I have several pictures which are corrupt I assume this was happening during the time I have used windows server.

Is it required/ crucial : NO!
is it beneficial: Yes!
cost/benefit ratio is very good, you are not paying much more for ECC ram
I agree. I would also prefer to have 16GB of ECC RAM instead of 32GB of non ECC RAM.