FreeNAS backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreyzie

Cadet
Hi , first this is how my system works.

All servers daily back up goes to iscsi drive from local Freenas. MY local Freenas will Rsync with my offsite Freenas 6hours after the servers daily backup. Both Freenas specs are same. Built with 6x2TB drive on z2. What i would like to ask is , how can i do a back up on my offsite freenas? Is this necessary? I cant just plugin an ext drive and backup/duplicate/ my 8TB of backup to ext. Please advise... tqvm...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So you have a running copy, your local backup, and off site backup? 3 copies sounds fairly safe as long as you have versioning as well (snapshots so you revert incase files get modified or deleted). If your data is very valueable you'd want to do another backup to an off the grid media (like you said an external harddrive). You could go oldschool and plug in tapes and archive them, or just plugin in a harddrive, import it, rsync everything, snapshot everything, export it, then unplug it. It takes someone actually doing it, but it might be worth it if the data is really so valuable you need it to survive something that affects computer on the grid, like a server compromise.

kreyzie

Cadet
thank you..my total backed up data = 6TB...i dont think i can find an external drive with 6TB capacity...and i think 3 backup will be good and more than enough...
thx for replying! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.