FreeNAS access and user passwords

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi folks,
I have built my FreeNAS and updated it. Installed the 10gb interface which works well. So, having got this far it is time to create space and move data on the storage and that is where I have run into trouble. No matter what type of share I created the connection always failed with different messages about share not being available, server does not exist etc etc. I have finally been able to track down the cause the user has no password (strange because the password was aded at user creation time).
So, I edited the user and added a password, three attempts later and still no password and the user field (menu) has a spinning circle.

Looking for clues as to a fix.
Thank you
Ian

Update:- I removed all the extra groups I had put the user in to see if that fixed the access, the save process works very quickly as a result, but still does not save the user password and also the dashboard get blank.
I am using Firefox on a mac mini running the latest Apple OS with updates.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

What sharing protocol are you using ? Here, I use Nextcloud instead of a basic sharing protocol. That allows easy access even from mobile devices. Nextcloud will manage the users and their passwords. @danb35 created a script to help with the install / initial config of Nextcloud. Personnaly, I run it from a docker host in my ESXi server instead of using the jail.

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi,
Thank you for those details. I am not ready to move into more complex connections until I can get the basic one working. I have been trying to use SMB and AFP without success.
I think the prime issue I need to fix is the not saving the used password.
Ian

ianrm

Dabbler
The password does not show when either hidden or exposed. I had to create jail entry to enable access to the shared folder.
Ian

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,
Thank you for those details. I am not ready to move into more complex connections until I can get the basic one working. I have been trying to use SMB and AFP without success.
I think the prime issue I need to fix is the not saving the used password.
Ian

Do you see your user if you run the command midclt call smb.passdb_list true | jq

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi anodos,
the issue is partly the password feature does not work. I resolved the access issue by creating a jail item.
Regards
Ian

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi anodos,
I am using 11.3u4.1
I am using a mac mini running macOS 10.15.6 update to manage the FreeNAS. The user account password function hide/unhide does not work on may MAC using firefox. The password is saved.
Ian