FreeNAS 9.3 - Move system dataset to boot pool?

Sir.Robin

Guru
I made a 8GB boot mirror... and i want the System dataset moved from my main pool to the boot pool.

Can it be done?

fracai

Guru
I don't think this would be a good idea. Most people are probably using USB flash drives for their boot devices and constantly writing to the device will wear it out early.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeah... but if i'm not using USB drives... :)

SCS

Dabbler
Yeah... but if i'm not using USB drives... :)

Sorry to stir this up so long later the latest posting, but I've been looking into this as well as potentially moving the system dataset onto the mirrored slog I plan to implement.

I was wondering if you attempted moving system dataset onto your boot device and if so what your experience with this was.

tres_kun

Dabbler
It will work
But the death of the flash drive is imminent
Mine was dead in 4 months
It will be ok on an ssd
But I have read that it is possible to lose your pool if the system dataset gets corrupted
Do not hold me to this
Might be wrong
But redundancy for the system dataset should be considered

Reactions: SCS

SCS

Dabbler
It will work
But the death of the flash drive is imminent
Mine was dead in 4 months
It will be ok on an ssd
But I have read that it is possible to lose your pool if the system dataset gets corrupted
Do not hold me to this
Might be wrong
But redundancy for the system dataset should be considered

I plan to move to SSD if I were to do so, but I'd also ask how large was your flash drive. I'd think having a larger flash drive would also allow for better wear leveling, as 4 months sees ridiculously short.

tres_kun

Dabbler
The flash drive is an 8GB kingston dtse9 G2 as exact detail
I still have it
It sufferd an error
And while I was attempting to add redundancy to save me from reinstalling
It failed crashing the system

SCS

Dabbler
Well I just swapped out the two mirrored 32GB flash drives for a set of two 120GB 7200RPM drives in a mirror until I drop the cash on the SSD's

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sorry to stir this up so long later the latest posting, but I've been looking into this as well as potentially moving the system dataset onto the mirrored slog I plan to implement.

I was wondering if you attempted moving system dataset onto your boot device and if so what your experience with this was.

This question was asked at a time where there were no option in FreeNAS to do so.
Don't remember the exact version, but for several releases, you now have the option to choose what pool to put these datasets on from the "System-System Dataset" menu.

Been running it on boot pool since it got implemented and have had no issues. Boot pool is on a Intel G2 SSD though. :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
thread_die_die_die_0f0d0c9bd9535f80e95d4c93651276cd3d915b49.jpg

"Hey, Siri. Set a reminder for 24 months to reply to the FreeNAS 9.3 - Move system dataset to boot pool? thread."

NugentS

MVP
Braaaaiiiinnnnsssssss