SOLVED FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 on Oracle VirtualBox 4.1.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynicman

Cadet
Sorry if this is a repost of the past, but I tried searching the forums and only found stuff on running VirtualBox within FreeNAS, which by the way is pretty cool.

What I am trying to do, is "Try before I buy". I want to install FreeNAS on VirtualBox on my Ubuntu PC. I created a VM to run FreeBSD. I gave it 256MB RAM, 4MB Video RAM, 2GB Main HDD, and 2x 10GB HDD for data. This is not going to be a production installation, I am just testing it out before I go a buy a server.

JFI: My target server will be Small HDD for OS. 16GB RAM. 6x 4TB or 6TB drives. Core i3 CPU. 2x Gbe LAN, one for my Local Network and one for the WUG.

The problem I am having, and this is with both the 64bit and the 32bit. Is I cannot get the install ISO to boot on the VM. I get the following... (see attached image) and it stays there for ever...

Attachments

• FreeNAS problem.png
    FreeNAS problem.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hilarious.. 256MB of RAM.. ROFLMFAO!

Cynicman

Cadet
Okay... I redid it exactly the same as the link explained it... but it still won't boot?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, don't know what to say. It works for me. :/

Unless you can provide some insight into what isn't working, an error message, or something, you are kind of on your own. :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I do see your virtualbox version is *very* old. Like April 2nd, 2012 old. So I'd start with upgrading. ;)

L

L

I have seen that over and over when I don't give the vm at least 4GB ram.

Cynicman

Cadet
The VM has 4GB RAM now... I did some reading via Google, and found that this problem in Virtualbox existed with a lot of distros, and often meant the ISO was corrupted, so I redownloaded and guess what... it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.