FreeNAS 8 on VMWare 4.1 - no member disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smad

Hi everyone. I did an install of FreeNAS on VmWare (I selected FreeBSD 64bit) as host, LSI Logic SAS controller. When I try to create a new Volume, in the popup window there are no member disks. What gives? How do I solve this? Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
Did you create any virtual disks?

Note: Virtual disks should be at least 4GB.

S

smad

Did you create any virtual disks?

Note: Virtual disks should be at least 4GB.

No I didn't (I presume). I created one big disk in VMWare with 250Gb. How do I add virtual disks? What's the best way to do this? Did not find anything in online docs and tutorials, might have missed it. I have seen my question posted in other places so a solution would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Mike

Cadet
No I didn't (I presume). I created one big disk in VMWare with 250Gb. How do I add virtual disks? What's the best way to do this? Did not find anything in online docs and tutorials, might have missed it. I have seen my question posted in other places so a solution would be more than welcome. Thanks.

You just add a disk in the configuration of that specific virtual machine. The primary harddisk, where FreeNAS is installed, should be atleast of 2gb in size to install the latest beta so i guess 2gb is a bare minimum from now on. Then you can add your data disks that you can configure to be data disks. Some performance tips; thin provisioning is great but does come with a slight performance penalty, same with caching the changes; I would set that to persistent if you can find the option.

ProtoSD

MVP
Here's a screen capture,
Add-disk-1.jpg
click on ADD (highlighted in red),
then choose 'Hard Disk',
then 'Create New Virtual Disk',
then choose 'SCSI'
then enter '4' (maximum disk size)
click 'Store virtual disk as a single file'
give it a name like 'disk-1', or 'disk-2'
click Finish
repeat for additional drives

Note: Maximum disk size of 4GB is just for basic testing.

S

smad

Did that once, but did not reboot. Rebooting the server fixed the issue. Thank you.

S

smad

You just add a disk in the configuration of that specific virtual machine. The primary harddisk, where FreeNAS is installed, should be atleast of 2gb in size to install the latest beta so i guess 2gb is a bare minimum from now on. Then you can add your data disks that you can configure to be data disks. Some performance tips; thin provisioning is great but does come with a slight performance penalty, same with caching the changes; I would set that to persistent if you can find the option.

Thank you for the advice. Server is not final, just starting to work with FreeNAS and space is at a premium :)

Status
Not open for further replies.