Freenas 8 and Popcorn Hour C-200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have successfully setup and configured Freenas 8.0.1 RC1 for use as a File Server for Media files.

ZFS Pool of 6x2TB disks in RaidZ configuration.

Cifs/Samba Share is accessable from Network, and am getting Transfers of 85MB/Second to/from a connected Windows 7 PC.

Trouble I have now is that when I try to access files from my Popcorn C-200, the PH fails to play. I know there are issues with the PH and Gigabit Networks, and have set to 10/100 within the PH Menu. (With the C-200 set on Auto/Gigabit, picture stutters after about 2 mins)

I used to use Freenas 0.7.1, and the C-200 together without any problems (with the C-200 set at 10/100, rather than Gigabit).

A bit frustrated now, as I am not sure what to try next.

Any ideas?

ProtoSD

MVP
Not sure this will fix your problem, but RC2 just came out yesterday. You might give that a try and see if it helps.

howi42

Cadet
Did you find a solution for your problem ?
I see something similar with FreeNAS and an AC Ryan Mini2 mediaplayer :

Connection to PC is always excellent, to the mediaplayer in many cases just bad.

Thanks, Wolfgang

Ended up configuring popcorn to use NFS TCP. This allowed the two to work together without stuttering. I did have a thought that it could be the fact that the Freenas machine was connected to a switch, which was connected to a router, to which th popcorn was connected, whereas the PC was connected directly to the switch, but haven't tested this theory yet as it works with TCP.

Best of luck. Regards

Rob

howi42

Cadet
Ok, thanks,

I tried the NFS way, but it is even worse.
In addition, the NFS shares seem to have problems with codepages.

- Wolfgang

temm

Cadet
Same problem here,

0.7.2 was working fine with smb and nfs shares.

Installed 8.0.2 and i'm getting write speeds up to 85MB/s from my mac with afp. NFS shares work fine with pch (a bit of delay to start) but smb is either not starting playback (spinning wheel/cursor) of starts after a while with continuous shuttering.

I played around with cifs settings in freenas but with no luck.

Teo

nite244

Dabbler
I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 as well and it's been working great with an SMB share via a Win2k3 server (single drive too, not multi drive like my FreeNAS setup), but the SMB share from my FreeNAS server was starting to stutter on high bandwidth streams (Blu-ray ISO). Low to medium bandwidth streams (such as DVD ISOs or less) would work fine over SMB on FreeNAS, but the Blu-ray ISO were just not holding up. From info in this thread, I've tested the following on my Popcorn Hour with my FreeNAS server:

- SMB - works fine for most scenarios, but high bandwidth streams (Blu-ray ISO) were stuttering
- NFS - nearly unusable for Blu-ray ISO (almost instant stuttering), didn't test anything else
- NFS-TCP - so far, seems to work great without any stuttering

The NFS-TCP setting is the Popcorn Hour C-200 (not FreeNAS). I just used a NFS share on FreeNAS and used Browse in the Network Share section on the Popcorn Hour to add the NFS share (I also had to add a username/password on the Popcorn Hour, but that was due to my NFS share setup on FreeNAS)

I hope this helps anyone running into similar problems. Now I just hope it continues to work for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.