FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty) import NTFS with data problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet
Thanks in advance, everyone!

I was using NAS4Free with imported NTFS volume which contain CHINESE named folders and files and everything was going good.
When I install FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 and import the same NTFS disc, all my CHINESE named folders and files are disappeared!
I checked my CIFS config, and tried every codepage in CIFS, but it's still same problem!

So, is there any mistake I made?!

Can someone help me?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What do you mean by Import NTFS? You mean you mount it and use it as you would a UFS or ZFS drive?

NTFS support in FreeBSD is extremely flaky and shouldn't be used except to migrate data to your drive. I had a similar problem when migrating a Windows Server to FreeNAS. If I copied folders to the FreeNAS server from Windows using any method aside from the GUI the filenames would be messed up. I think that's your best way to solve this solution easily.

For myself, I created a ZFS pool and shared it on the network. Then mounted the FreeNAS drive on my Windows server and did a drag and drop. No file names messed up and everything was copied. It was a little slow considering I was limited to 110MB/sec, but it did get the job done without losing files or messing up file names.

Here's my "lessons learned" from migrating from Server 2008 R2 to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.