FreeNAS 8.3.1-BETA3 kernel freezes on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedsim

Cadet
Hi

I was trying the ISO of 8.3.1-BETA3 because it includes the isci driver. I need this driver because my disks are connected to an Intel C600 SAS controller.

Previously I tested 8.3.0, which boots just fine, and copied the isci driver from a stock FreeBSD 8.3 distribution CD. All disks are recognized and everything seems to work except smartd.

However, with 8.3.1-BETA3, the boot process gets stuck, seemgly with a kernel freeze (see the screenshot). I wonder if this has anything to do with the isci driver.

Regards.

Attachments

• freenas_freeze.jpg
    freenas_freeze.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 263

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Did you try installing it directly to the USB flash drive and booting it?

What is the motherboard/chipset?

fedsim

Cadet
I was actually trying to boot the ISO image to install it on a USB flash drive. For some reason, it did'nt boot either on my NAS machine or a virtual machine in my desktop-PC.

Anyway, the img.xz file seems to work. It is nice to have the isci driver and the disks recognized out-of-the-box :) but SMART still gives an error :(

My original purpose was to ask for the SMART issue. I guess I should open a separate thread?

Regards.

ybcnyc

Dabbler
im getting the same issue when trying to boot FreeNAS 8.3.1-BETA3 x64 iso on bare metal x3500 7977 or virtual box. i'm trying to install on local sata hard drive since i'm having USB boot issues with this machine. is there something wrong with the ISO?

Thanks

J

jpaetzel

The iso seems corrupted somehow. I'm uploading the fix now.

fedsim

Cadet
Thanks for fixing the ISO.

As for the SMART issue, I have 6 disks connected to an Intel C600 SAS controller. smartctl fails on all of them with the following error:

------------------------------------------------
[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -a /dev/da0
smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p5 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Vendor: SEAGATE
Product: ST33000650SS
Revision: 0004
User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
scsiModePageOffset: raw_curr too small, offset=259 resp_len=1 bd_len=255
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T perm
issive' options.
[root@freenas ~]#
------------------------------------------------

smartctl -T permissive allows the command to continue and SMART properties are reported properly (aside from the previous error). However, smartd refuses to register the disks even with -T permissive.

I have tested the disks in a Linux box with an LSI RAID controller and smartctl reports no error, so it shouldn't be a disk problem. I also tested a 500GB SATA disk on the C600 controller and smartctl works fine.

The machine is an Intel R2308GL server. The C600 controller has an upgrade key that allows up to 8 SAS disks (Intel calls it the "purple" key).

Best.

fedsim

Cadet
Hi

Nobody else has ever seen this behavior? Really?

I'll have to assume there is something particular to my configuration then.

Regards.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I see some changes in the FreeBSD code that might be related to C600 and SMART be it is too late to backport the changes. You'll have to wait for 9.1.

fedsim

Cadet
I have already tried FreeBSD 9.1 with the same result. It seems I'm out of luck.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.