FreeNAS 8.0 unable start ftp service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zaine

hi all,

Pls pls plsss... help me i have a IBM 3200 server with 2gb RAM and 2tb HDD and i want to use as storage & backup for the servers... i would like to use freenas 8.0 Ftp service where so people can just download the file they need and redirect all the backup on my server... but for some reason the FTP doesn't work the port wont open 21 even using nmap it doenst sea port 21... the FTP is ON on the service and i have users that have ftp as their group but still no luck i am not able to use ftp or at list any sign of its running or not. what should i do to get it going???. thanks for the help in advance

warri

Guru
What happens after you enable the FTP in the services menu? Can you give us the log messages?

T-Monster

Dabbler
This was covered elsewhere - at the moment the ftp service won't run if you have changed the hostname from freenas.local (which is how I found this out)

The other thing - which wasn't covered - was that I found that the banner (in the FTP service configuration) can't be more than 1 line of text - any more and it stops working.

So, try those out and it should work again :)

T-Monster

Dabbler

T-Monster

Dabbler
Ah, ok - still learning :)

But... shouldn't changing the hostname in the web GUI make the changes for us? Or do I still have more to learn ;) - I can't see anything in the documentation that says I should do anything else...

Z

Zaine

thank you for the help.. i think T-Monster is right i have reloaded freenas again on the default config FTP service is working but asking for some bogus username and password and suddenly stop when i update the host name... although it says on on the configuration option.. the actual service is off port 21 is not available.. i am not much on BSD(or any) so i dont now how to pull out the logs... sorry!!!...

i am looking for the proftpd(as suggested elsewhere) file and look whats inside of it maybe it would offer me some clue but for the min time ill stick to all your advice and dig in... thank you all....

Z

Zaine

here is my logs found it!

Jun 15 18:10:39 archivesrv root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 15 18:10:39 archivesrv freenas: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 15 18:10:39 archivesrv freenas: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 15 18:10:39 archivesrv root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 15 18:11:53 archivesrv kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 276 to 200 packets/sec
Jun 15 18:11:55 archivesrv kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 239 to 200 packets/sec
Jun 15 18:11:56 archivesrv kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 280 to 200 packets/sec
Jun 15 18:11:57 archivesrv kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 269 to 200 packets/sec
Jun 15 18:11:59 archivesrv kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 211 to 200 packets/sec

Status
Not open for further replies.