FreeNAS 11 freezes when using NFS shares from ESXI Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanid99

Dabbler
As the title explains - on my ESXI Host (6.5) I have mounted an NFS share and an iSCSI link from the FreeNAS box. I have some VMs in the NFS share folder that I wanted to move into the iscsi datastore to run my VMs from there -but as soon as I try to copy files on ESXI from one mount to the other , FreeNAS locks up fully and needs a hard reset.

My SMB shares are working and have worked fine under heavy loads for a about two years. I do not have any alerts on FreeNAS of a failing drive(s). Im guessing its possible its RAM on the FreeNAS host but I wouldve thought Id see other indicators of this before now. Any thoughts ? Are there any logs that may indicate the cause of the freezeup ? Again, ONLY when using NFS shares do I get this issue.

kanid99

Dabbler
Im not at home and this happened while working remotely - so Im assuming when I get home and I turn on the monitor for my FreeNAS host I could have some errors displayed there. This all sounds like hardware to me.

Stux

MVP
FWIW, doing the exact same thing worked fine for me :-/

How much RAM does FreeNAS have? Is FreeNAS virtualized?

kanid99

Dabbler
FreeNAS is not virtualized at this point (though that is the end goal) - it runs in its own machine, 24GB of ram. Its working NOW without issue which makes me suspect a RAM issue or a disk issue that isnt obvious.

Stux

MVP
FreeNAS is not virtualized at this point (though that is the end goal) - it runs in its own machine, 24GB of ram. Its working NOW without issue which makes me suspect a RAM issue or a disk issue that isnt obvious.

Using iSCSI and NFS from my virtualized FreeNAS I found I needed to use 24GB to not throttle performance.

I was wondring if perhaps you had an ECC event?

kanid99

Dabbler
No ECC event - this time when it froze I was here to look at the local monitor - FreeNAS is not frozen, but it seems to have just dropped the network interface. So Im thinking something in my NIC doesnt like what Im doing.

Stux

MVP
Have you got MTU 9000 enabled?

kanid99

Dabbler
No, Ive had issues in the past with jumbo frames so I dont turn it on in most cases. Im pretty confident that its the NIC built into this motherboard. Its a consumer board with a junky realtek NIC so my gut says that it just isnt liking the load at all and the driver breaks.

Stux

MVP
No, Ive had issues in the past with jumbo frames so I dont turn it on in most cases. Im pretty confident that its the NIC built into this motherboard. Its a consumer board with a junky realtek NIC so my gut says that it just isnt liking the load at all and the driver breaks.

Yes.

You should consider adding an Intel nic.

kanid99

Dabbler
Im planning to retire the FreeNAS host physical machine and migrate it to a VM in my esxi host, which should resolve it (I hope).

ggoosen

Dabbler
Keen to follow and hear how this goes, im trying to setup FreeNas on an esxi vm platform and worried about this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.