Freenas 11.2 will not boot

razaborg

Cadet
Hello,

As a Freenas 11.1-U7 user I wanted to upgrade to the latest version to have the latest packages in my jails (and be able to finally upgrade my nextcloud).

But I am actually facing some issues with the 11.2-U3 system upgrade.

I tried multiple ways :
- through the web GUI : the system is stuck on the msg "booting in normal mode", and nothing happens.
- using the official ISO and an USB key : with UEFI (fresh) install, I got the error msg "boot sector too large"
- using the official ISO and an USB key : with BIOS (fresh) install, the boot process is stuck on "booting"
thanksfully, I had a copy of my boot drive and I am still able to use my 11.1-U7 install (which boots well).

So I went through almost all the solutions suggested in https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-release/ but nothing works and I don't really know what to do next...

I am looking for any idea from people better knowing this system than I do. Any files I should start by looking at to diagnose my issues ?

EDIT: Forgot to specify my hardware specs. My Freenas is running on an AsRock Q1900-ITX motherboard with the latest firmware available (1.90 from 2018/3/15. I updated it for testing, because freenas 11.2 was not booting)

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You try a fresh install on a new boot device and upload your config file? Maybe your system just doesn't like the new freebsd boot loader. You didn't include any hardware specs so nobody can really help on you that topic.

razaborg

Cadet
Please try the instructions in the Resolving Boot Issues section of https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-release/.

Already done that. As explained in my first post :)

You try a fresh install on a new boot device and upload your config file? Maybe your system just doesn't like the new freebsd boot loader. You didn't include any hardware specs so nobody can really help on you that topic.
Btw I updated my first post with the hardware infos. What config file are you talking about ? The .db file ?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm amazed that your motherboard ever worked in the first place. What is the result of a fresh install?

razaborg

Cadet
I'm amazed that your motherboard ever worked in the first place. What is the result of a fresh install?
What kind of fresh install do you want me to try ? UEFI or BIOS ? I have already done both and given the stdout output in my 1st post. I could try again and give you some config/logs files I you tell me what you want.

What is your ticket number?
Just created it: NAS-101437

Yorick

Wizard
Your best bet for this board will likely be BIOS boot. What are your BIOS settings to enable that? CSM? Boot order? Other boot options?

UEFI "boot sector too large" tells you that your board can't handle UEFI boot as used by FreeNAS. Some form of incompatibility re the UEFI standard, I wouldn't hold my breath on a 2013 board getting updates to fix that.