FreeNAS 11.2 GUI Dashboard: Memory Report

Hello Team,
I'm trying to understand the memory graph on dashboard. For every status (active/laundry/free/wired/cache/inactive), there are mentioned capacity as min, max avg & total (all in GiB). Wanted to know what this total stands for. Total for free status shows 4601GiB, for wired it shows something near to 574GiB & for active status total field is somewhere around 105GiB.
I've a FreeNAS Mini with Intel Atom C2750 (8 cores | 2.40GHz), 16GB RAM & 4 x 1TB HDD.
Screenshot is attached for memory graph.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• FreeNAS GUI 11.2.PNG
    FreeNAS GUI 11.2.PNG
    84.5 KB · Views: 690

danb35

Hall of Famer
As best as I can tell, "total" is simply the sum of all the readings during the time period the graph covers. It's a pointless number for memory, but would be relevant for network, for example.

Calochortus

Dabbler
The bigger problem here is that the legend/colors for memory are totally incorrect.

See: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/74316 (should be reopened)

Look at Swap in the OP's image:
* used/free in legend are green/pink (for IX Dark, IX Light, Dracula, different for Solarized but still doesn't match)
* lines in chart are orange/blue (for all themes)

Look at Memory in the OP's image:
* largest line in chart is red @ ~12.8 Gb
* red in legend => cache @ 0 b
* cyan in legend => free @ ~12.8 Gb
* there is no cyan line in the chart

I see the same results on a new install of 11.2-U1. For what its worth: CPU, DISK, NETWORK all look reasonable.

If I rrdtool dump /var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/memory/memory-free.rrd the values are reasonable.

My guess is that the theme color mapping is broken for the memory charts. I can't tell if that's an rrd.py thing (where it looks like some colors are declared in the LINE1:cdef settings).

Ah, it looks like this might be fixed with https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/59226 and targeted for 11.2-U2

D

dlavigne

Which was just released. If you're still seeing the issue after updating, please add a screenshot to74316.

Calochortus

Dabbler
Which was just released. If you're still seeing the issue after updating, please add a screenshot to74316.

And lo, I clicked update and the problem is resolved.

Releasing the bug fix 30 minutes before I post about it: now that's what I call *service*!