• Let work together to make it better.

• Please fix all the things!

• I didn't know there was anything new.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
Looks like were just waiting for the build to drop. So what do you all think? Have you noticed anything that's harder to do in the new GUI? Is something missing? Broken?
Let talk about the new evolution of FreeNAS. It's not just a NAS anymore. Should It get a new name? FreeSwissarmyknife? FreeKitchensync?

Please keep this friendly and constructive or at least humorous!

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

I'm on FreeNAS-11.2-MASTER-201807030448.
There are two network interfaces. I would like to setup a jail that binds its network interface to a specific (the secondary) interface. How is that possible?
I would also want to setup a bridge interface that several jails share.
Obviously there's no way to do that via GUI, maybe there's a way to do it via CLI? Is it possible at all to have a jail that runs more than one nic?

Edit:
Apart from those issues I like to thank that since 11.1 the iocage implementation has gotten a LOT better and also much better GUI support. :D

Edit2:
Whenever I start vim within the Shell wie WebGUI it got stuck. I have to refresh the website (Firefox 61.0, Fedora Linux 28).
What about IPv6 Auto configuration? I can't find a way to enable it for the jail.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
I've asked this before and I either misunderstood the reply or I just hated it.

Can I go to a beta build and then when it becomes final, move back to stable?

kdragon75

Wizard
I've asked this before and I either misunderstood the reply or I just hated it.

Can I go to a beta build and then when it becomes final, move back to stable?
Yes and no. You CANNOT go from -master to -stable BUT you can use your boot environments to "roll back" to your old stable build and upgrade from there. Also keep in mind you cannot use a -MASTER config.db on the -stable train.

kdragon75

Wizard
Hi,

There are two network interfaces. I would like to setup a jail that binds its network interface two a specific (the secondary) interface. How is that possible?
Obviously there's no way to do that via GUI, maybe there's a way to do it via CLI? Is it possible at all to have a jail that runs more than one nic?

Edit:
Apart from those issues I like to thank that since 11.1 the iocage implementation has gotten a LOT better and also much better GUI support. :D

Edit2:
Whenever I start vim within the Shell wie WebGUI it got stuck. I have to refresh the website (Firefox 61.0, Fedora Linux 28).
What about IPv6 Auto configuration? I can't find a way to enable it for the jail.
Yeah I think we need much more or much less abstraction of all things network related in FreeNAS. I could go either direction on this one. In any case I am looking forward to new shiny comprehensive documentation.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yes and no. You CANNOT go from -master to -stable BUT you can use your boot environments to "roll back" to your old stable build and upgrade from there. Also keep in mind you cannot use a -MASTER config.db on the -stable train.

If I backup my config, upgrade to beta1, wait for 11.2 final to come out, roll back to 11.1 U5 using boot env, then update to 11.2 this would alleviate most problems?

What about any iocage jails I make via the CLI?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm pretty sure the beta will update to release, since betas are typically in the release branch.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Very tempting, to try and solve iocage problems

Junicast

Patron
What are you using to get vim on the base system? Port? I realize vi is an alternative but I'm not quite used to it yet.
Thanks for your reply. I install vim via pkg install vim

SavageAUS

Patron
I made the switch today to 11.2 beta 1 though the cli (was on nighlies) but having a gui issue.
Gui shows I'm on 11.2 beta 1 but the updates section is saying I have updates for nightlies.
Sorry for phone pics.
Screenshot_20180710-211332_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180710-211401_Chrome.jpg

diskdiddler

Wizard
Anyone done the AMD / HP microservers yet?

I nearly did mine but I had an issue with data loss which has me concerned (maybe my own fault) so I want to track that first.

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

There are two network interfaces. I would like to setup a jail that binds its network interface to a specific (the secondary) interface. How is that possible?
[...]
As it turns out it's possible to create a virtual machine (not jail) that create a bridge over the associated interface. It's nasty but that works.
Apart from that when you create a jail with iocage you can utilize the interfaces option.
iocage create -r 11.2-RELEASE --name test0 interfaces="vnet0:bridge0,vnet1:bridge1"

sjp770

Dabbler
I've noticed it forgets your choice of theme, and some tooltips are cut off as they appear in the right of a frame but down pop up over the edge of it, rather disappear under the divide.

Also Adding a disk to a VM - it doesnt seem to boot. And the issue raised elsewhere on this forum - 30 mins in it crashes unless you change the NIC driver to VirtIO. The E1000 driver crashes.

As a new user I was steered to the BETA for VM usage, but im wondering if i'd be better with the non beta for stability? I need a few VM's though.

In the Beta are we able to run dockers instead of Jails by adding a Ubuntu docker vm and ranchero? Its in the gui but im yet to find a good guide on it, i'll need plex.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hey, guys!

Just wanted to say thanks for the great work. I just upgraded from 11.1U5 to 11.2-BETA1.

• Problem-free upgrade procedure, all services up and running. *phew*
  • The UI finally "feels smooth" overall.
  • Thanks for the "Dracula" theme for those of us who still mourn the demise of Corral ;)
  • The UI still takes up too much space in some areas. I'm on a Macbook Pro 15", so screen size is up to modern standards. Take for example the "Disks" view in the "Storage" area. All of the columns are too narrow or the font too large ...

All in all very very promising. Will start fooling around with the new jails after my vacation.

Kind regards,
Patrick

SavageAUS

Patron
Is there a guide for setting up a rancher docker on 11.2 yet?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SavageAUS

Patron
I wasn't sure where to post this but are the resolved issues on the bug tracker pushed to the nightlies?

Status
Not open for further replies.