freeNAS 0.8 and raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi30tdi

Cadet
Hello!

I am new to freeNAS 0.8, have been using 0.7 for sometime, and there I have been using softwareraid. Where can I setup softwareraid in 0.8??

Regards
Kåre!

ProtoSD

MVP
Welcome Kåre,

The version numbers have actually jumped, so FreeNAS 8 isn't really .8 (dot 8). There's also no softwareraid in FreeNAS 8, unless of course you count ZFS (which is software raid), but not what you were really asking about. It doesn't exist in version 8 like it did in .7. If you have existing software raid in .7, there's not really a way to upgrade that to version 8. Before you decide to switch, take a look at some of the documentation in my signature below so you understand the differences and aren't disappointed.

Hope that helps!

audi30tdi

Cadet
Thanks for fast answer. You mention that ZFS is a kind of softwareraid, how can I set that up?? I want to use 2 disk and Raid0 for mirroring

leenux_tux

Patron
Hello,

Setting up RAID when using ZFS is fairly straight forward using the FreeNAS GUI. Speaking from experience (both good and bad!) I would recommend "trying out" FreeNAS in a virtual environment before hand so you can get a better understanding of how it works, how to configure "stuff" (storage, networks, CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, etc, etc etc). This way you can make mistakes in your config, test things out etc and not worry about having to rebuild your physical environment; at least in a virtual environment you can do a "snapshot" of the virtual machine prior to making big changes and revert back to a good config it it all goes pear shaped

Status
Not open for further replies.