For the Fractal R2 case owners..

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bohs Hansen

Just wanted to share experience to those of you with the R2 nas case so you don't make the same mistake as i did. :)

I added a SSD on the side of the case so i didn't have any usb sticks sticking out, but made one mistake when mounting it.

I used Velcro dots, that in itself is no problem. But I added them on the "wrong side". Just had to pull them of the drive again.

Reason, i needed the disk in another place temporarily, but it wouldn't fit into my docking station with the dots on it.

See image for wrong side mount. Inside should be facing out compared to image.

257052_10150200372193248_693728247_7115609_6373753_o.jpg

zyo

Dabbler
I use Array R2 and use supermicro X7SPA

combination made in heaven (internal usb port)

I dont know why you want to use an ssd (overkill), I would go for a internal USB DOM drive (cheaper and doesnt occupy a sata port)

B

Bohs Hansen

I don't trust USB sticks and i didn't want one hanging out the backside. When i made the setup I wanted a fanless mainboard and there was only one choice on board then (no internal port).
The SSD actual didn't cost much, those small 4/8/16GB sata ssd's don't cost much anymore and i would have payed almost the same for a quality branded usb stick - and its more use to me later when/if i change the setup. On top of that I had the sata port spare :)

For this build i wanted the best of the best and not compromise to save a couple bucks :)

But yea, If I had had a board with internal USB or IDE I'd prolly gone that direction (if IDE, then a raid dual cf card->ide adapter).

Status
Not open for further replies.