following system update, both plug-ins, Transmission and Plex, not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Oh well. Once again, thanks so much for trying to help. I appreciate it.
no prob. I suggest you look the the settings for those jails on the jails tab and make sure they make sense for your network.

BeeoHat

Explorer
I notice that when I try to switch the Transmission service status to ON, the console shows the following:

"transmission_1 su: in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pan.d/su: insecure ownership or permissions

Transmission_1 su: pam_start: system error".

I get the same msg. when trying to switch the Plex service ON.

Does this info help in identifying the problem? Also, are there any screen captures that I could upload to assist in fixing this?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I notice that when I try to switch the Transmission service status to ON, the console shows the following:

"transmission_1 su: in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pan.d/su: insecure ownership or permissions

Transmission_1 su: pam_start: system error".

I get the same msg. when trying to switch the Plex service ON.

Does this info help in identifying the problem? Also, are there any screen captures that I could upload to assist in fixing this?
yeah that helps identify the problem. your jails permission/ownership got changed which breaks the jail. you're going to have to either restore from a snapshot or reinstall new instances of those plugins. you could copy over /var/db/plexdata and /var/db/transmission to save your old instances metadata.

never change the permissions of your jail datasets, that breaks the jails. only ever change permissions of datasets you mount into the jails.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Your advice on changing permissions is well taken. Many thanks. I decided to go with your second recommendation and I reinstalled both plugins.

The Plex plugin works fine. The Transmission plugin appears to work ok. I'm now able to access its web interface and upload torrents. Everything works fine until the upload is finished. Then for some reason, the uploaded file disappears from the TORRENTS folder. However, it continues to show on the web interface.

Any suggestions?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Your advice on changing permissions is well taken. Many thanks. I decided to go with your second recommendation and I reinstalled both plugins.

The Plex plugin works fine. The Transmission plugin appears to work ok. I'm now able to access its web interface and upload torrents. Everything works fine until the upload is finished. Then for some reason, the uploaded file disappears from the TORRENTS folder. However, it continues to show on the web interface.

Any suggestions?
did you setup a temporary downloads folder?
you could use the toggle inspector on a download to see where the file path is.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.03.31 AM.png

Hopefully these screenshots help.
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.03.57 AM.png
When I reinstalled Transmission, the download was set to //Downloads. So I changed that to TORRENTS, as shown. Was "Downloads" the temporary folder you asked about?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
No, the temporary folder is a setting available in the freenas transmission settings menu. If you didn't edit this then ignore me mentioning it.
You downloads should be ending up in //TORRENTS in the jail, which is not on the dataset you mounted into the jail.
- first off, get rid of that double forward slash, it is just going to make things more confusing.
- second, I assume you actually want your downloads to end up in /mnt/TORRENTS, which corresponds to your PRIME/TORRENTS dataset when viewed from the host FreeNAS system.

BeeoHat

Explorer
So is this how the screen should look with your suggestions? Please be specific on the steps to take
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.30.29 AM.png

After I made this change, and I paste a torrent link, Transmission does nothing.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
PRIME/TORRENTS is not a path in your jail, and can't even be a path because it has no starting forward slash.
Your 'Download to' setting should be "/mnt/TORRENTS"

BeeoHat

Explorer
So I changed the download path as shown, and when I try an upload, I got this msg.
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.43.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.43.07 AM.png

Looks like it's back to the permissions area again.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.