Folder mistakenly moved - how to prevent

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheezer

Dabbler
Newbie question, no doubt, and pardon the transgression if this has been asked and answered, but is there a way to 'prevent' users from 'inadvertently moving' entire folders in a shared location? Our FreeNAS has CIFS shares for Windows (ugh) users, and it appears that some 'sloppy fingers' have 'inadvertently moved' entire folders and 'dropped' them into neighboring folders...where of course, the next user that needs to access files in this 'moved' folder can no longer locate the folder...
All of our users expect to be able to create new folders and files within the shared location (IE: create a new folder for "Jones, Adam" inside of a folder labeled "client data"), but some of these Windows users seem to have 'slow responses' or 'sticky fingers' which allows them to inadvertently 'drag and drop' the occasional folder INTO a neighboring folder... So I (the sole 'nerd' in the office) will get a 'frantic call' that they can no longer find an entire folder and I have to locate and restore the folder to it's previous "visibility" ...
So here I am looking for a way to 'lock down' these 'errant folders' .... at least to some degree. But as a 'newbie' to such things, I'm asking for some 'operable instructions' ...
I have a difficult time understanding why this is so prevalent with the NAS when it wasn't such an issue when we had this all 'stashed' in the previous Windows Server 2012 setup...
But then it WAS just a holiday so maybe there's an explanation to some degree, after all ..

m0nkey_

MVP
Permissions. You need to modify them to prevent folders from being moved or deleted.

wheezer

Dabbler
...and HOW do I do this...? Using (for example) "Folder A" that was created initially by "user 3", but subsequently 'accidentally moved' by "user 5" to a "neighboring" folder (IE: 'Folder B").
What 'permissions' should be altered...? As I had initially mentioned, ALL users want/need to be able to 'create' folders within the share, but they don't want another user to "accidentally nest" ("drag and drop") a folder they created into a 'neighboring' folder... How do I prevent this..?

Status
Not open for further replies.