Flag/prefix for outdated resources

Dice

Wizard
Hello,

I ran across a resource with a minor need for update to smoothly work on the current version of TN. That inspired an idea, to solve the problem of awareness of information that is outdated.

Currently, such contributions take place in the related discussion thread. Occasionally, those threads grow huge, and such "fixes" and suggestions may become buried.
If the OP of the resource has "gone missing" - nothing happens.

My suggestion would be to add a "flag/prefix" that could be applied on resources that are discovered to be "outdated". Maybe with a link to the post which "suggests a valid solution", until the resource is "patched", if ever.

I think something like this would be excellent for the quality of resources in the long term.

Mod note: See also https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/resources-section-re-organization.109412/

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Arwen

MVP
If the author of the Resource has not been seen in a while, and the concept of the Resource is still valid, perhaps a moderator can see about archiving that Resource. Like you said, put in an outdated flag/prefix, AND make it & discussion read only.

Then, the person who found the issue / update, can create a new Resource, with all the old information AND credit the old author, then update the new Resource.

Sounds complicated but I always like to give credit where credit is due.

Dice

Wizard
Thank you @Arwen, your comment's gave additional perspective to my suggestion as it also solves a few issues that arises from your suggestion:
the person who found the issue / update, can create a new Resource,
I see some potential issues here:
  • This would have the risk of flooding the forum with new resources.
  • This would cause breakage of links/references to resources around the forums. (really important imo)
The strength of the 'Flag current resource' is precisely that most everthing stays in place.

Cheers,

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'll be looking at the Resources section this week.

We can handle these situations on a case-by-case basis:
  • Still relevant, someone can pick it up: We can reassign it.
  • Still relevant, not picked up: ???
  • Not relevant: Hide it, mark it, whatever
  • Still relevant, specific fix available: We can edit resources as needed, highlight posts, etc.
I'd suggest reporting any cases you come across that need attention.