First time sharing here! Could use expertise

MEpke

Dabbler
Ok all, after fixing that issue(logging into my plex works from somewhere now)

how would you remote in from say…another computer?

ex, on my computers(mac and windows alike)

I connect to ip 192.168.x.x

put in my credentials of username and password

and viola, all my freenas files(movies, wedding pictures, etc are there. So…how would you remote in from somewhere in alaska say, on someone elses stuff? It relates to plex because that means I could get my movies and pictures on plex from ANYWHERE. Thats my goal at least. Thanks!

ex: letting my nana log into the server to view my wedding photos would be a perfect example.

when I'm on her computer on her network, i do the same thing and it times out. I can provide more information if you need, i just don't know what is need. I have some port forwarding set up, etc. Thanks in advance!

Redcoat

MVP
Did you try consulting the Plex user forums?

MEpke

Dabbler
I have this posted In both becaus, although ultimately it's to use in plex....this is just accessing the server files and folders on any computer. So I posted in both.

On mac you would go to finder....click go, On my home computers/devices I would type in the ip address...log in with username and password that I've made on FreeNAS and it logs me in to the drive files.

When I do this on my mamas computer at her house on her network, it just times out. Any ideas? It's to share wedding photos and such with family, etc.

Redcoat

MVP

ThreeDee

Guru
have "nanna" sign up for a free Plex account and then you can send her a plex invite to her Plex account email address .. you can choose what folders in Plex she can see.. once she accepts the invite through Plex ..then she can look at whatever you have in Plex.

She can use her pc and browser to plex.tv ..or free app on XBox/Playstation/ROKU/Smart TV's .. android app cost like $6 or something like that on phones/tablets if she doesn't have a plexpass account

MEpke

Dabbler
have "nanna" sign up for a free Plex account and then you can send her a plex invite to her Plex account email address .. you can choose what folders in Plex she can see.. once she accepts the invite through Plex ..then she can look at whatever you have in Plex.

She can use her pc and browser to plex.tv ..or free app on XBox/Playstation/ROKU/Smart TV's .. android app cost like $6 or something like that on phones/tablets if she doesn't have a plexpass account

Hey everyone! I don't think I'm asking the question correctly. I want to teamview into her computer(that works) and I want to access the server files directly to add and remove so I can copy pictures to her computer and such. Plex is working fine since I figured out how to enable the remote view feature. Sorry for the confusion!