First FreeNAS build

Hello from Germany,

it's time for me to switch from an old Buffalo 2-bay Linkstation to a proper FreeNAS.
Been lurking here for the last weeks and found phenomenal resources on basics, How-To's, recommendations.
This is what I came up with so far:

(I'm not gonna link to German ebay or Amazon)

Case: old, heavy Chieftech CS-601 big tower, has plenty of space
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W 80+ Gold
Mobo: Supermicro X10SLL-F
RAM: 16 GB ECC RAM Samsung (2x M391B5273DH0; 2x M391B5173QH0)
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v3
HDD: 6 x 4TB WD RED (going for RAIDZ2)

Except for the PSU, all other components were bought used off of ebay or Kleinanzeigen (german craigslist).
I know that it is not advised to buy used harddrives, it's all on a very tight budget so I kind of hope for the best. According to the seller, Smart health of all drives was good and no bad blocks, fingers crossed...

Right now I'm waiting on all parts to arrive, building is scheduled to next week.
Except buying used parts, I'm pretty much inline with what is recommended here.
The system will be standing in my flat, so I'm a little worried about noise.
What do you think?

I forgot to add: boot drive will be a USB-stick (32G) for testing, burn-ins, tweaking. Later I'm gonna add a boot SSD and copy the config to it.

UPDATE 30-01-2020: ran Memtest86 v8.xx 12 passes with zero errors (approx. 24h, had to restart memtest every 4 passes, because I only got the freeware version of it),
memtest v5.xx now running for a longer period of time.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Should be fine.

(approx. 24h, had to restart memtest every 4 passes, because I only got the freeware version of it),
Wait, they're time-limiting it now? Are they actively trying to get people to not use their product and thus never buy it?

Should be fine.

Wait, they're time-limiting it now? Are they actively trying to get people to not use their product and thus never buy it?
Apparently, yes. At least for the recent version. I found an older release and could run that for another 24h. Yeah, I think I'm safe now.