First decent build of trunas for work with video content.

poulk

Cadet
Hello, everyone!
I'm thinking to build NAS which will work with the NUKE workstation, and I need succeed to get a linear R\W performance of at least 500+ MB/s.
But I have a few questions before I can start and hope someone here can help solve them.

1) I'm planning to use a different size disk (8x 3TB)+ 4x8TB in two pools (and use for connection two different HBA ADAPTEC CARDS).
At the moment I have only 3TB on the hands, so I can't check will this work by myself.
So do it possible to use two pools on different HDD with two HBA in one machine?

2) platform. How do you think that I should prefer, Xeon E3 with 4C/8T but with higher max frequency(i think it's can be about 3,5GHz on all cores) or should I go BIG and use some 2011-3 XEON 6 core+ with HT and lower frequencies (~2,5 on all cores) for better performance of truenas?
I think I will use some plugins on NAS so extra performance hurts no one :) But I don't want to spend extra money on simply warming the air.

3) RAM. I think the overall size of NAS will be about 40TB so how much ram I need to get the best results. I know about the "1TB=1GB" rule or it's simply "how much you can get"?

Thank you for any help!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does no one build free/truenas with such hardware?

No, no one does. The Adaptec HBA's in particular are problematic, and the lack of detail as to everything else is relatively sketchy, so if anyone was to comment, they'd be most likely to point you to one of the hardware recommendation guides available on the forum.