File Transfer Speeds dramatically increased

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Ive noticed when I transfer large files (around 1Gb or greater) Im getting about 1.1GB/s transfer speed which is great. Its so fast most times the file transfers without the windows popup graph showing transfer speed doesnt even come up. This is within the same data set and volume using SMB. For the longest time it averaged around 120Mb/s. Now only every couple of transfers dips this low. Does anyone know why this increase may have occurred? Again, not complaining but just curious. New tunables or improvements in new releases? Specs below

System Build: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 12GB ECC RAM
HDD: 4x3TB RaidZ2

mcflytfc

Cadet
Are your units correct or are you running 10g ethernet?

1.1GB/s is faster than a gigabit link could go(this is nearly 10 gig)
120Mb/s is only 15MB/s.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Not over a network. Just folder to folder within the system. Same dataset, volume etc.

Seriously limited specs presented here. We need more information like the network interface card in the NAS as well as the receiving PC.

Otherwise sounds like some weird compression voodoo or reporting error. Plus your RaidZ2 pool would physically limit around 200MBps so it would either need to be compressed data or solely stored in ARC which is impossible.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Why would you need NIC info if its all on the same machine and not over network?

If i understand correctly when your are transferring data within the same pool it should only be changing the pointers and not actually moving the data, if you're moving data between two different pools it will transfer the data to your computer then back to the FreeNAS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.