File Sharing, can´t modify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, I'm having a problem sharing my files that I can't seem to solve. I followed several user examples, but in the end the outcome is always the same. Only the user that creates the file can modify it. In some folders I would like several users to have modify ability to the files, but when I click the save button I only can save it as a new file.

When I select "ACL" type as Unix, and give 770 to the share, the owner can create and modify, but the group only can create a new file, not being able to modify files from the same group.

When I select "ACL" type Windows/Mac, the same happens, but I can add a new owner to the file, making the file modified by that user, but I would like to work with groups.

I would like to make something like this

Grp: Admin
- Admin

Grp: Coordinator
- User 1
- User 2
- User 3

Grp: Employee
- User 4
- User 5
- User 6

-> Admin Grp can see all files from Admin. Coordinator's and Employee's, and can Read Create and Modify

-> Coordinator Grp can see all files from Coordinator, Employee's, and can Read Create and Modify

-> Employee Grp can see all files from, Employee's, and can Read Create and Modify.

I can do all this in Unix ACL, using groups and using the "Auxiliary groups". But if a user from Coordinator creates a file inside a folder of the share "Employee", I would like them to be able to edit it (for example to write some notes in the company reports that the Employee next would delete and rectify).

The same example, when someone from Employee creates a file, I would like all the users from "Employee" (same group), "Coordinator" and "Admin" to be able to edit it.

So quick question. Why can't I edit files from other owners, even when the folder contains 777 and the users are in the same group?

Thank you in advance
Best Regards
Soloam

ultimate

Cadet
I have the same problem since a update from freenas 9.1 to 9.2.1.1. Before the update everything work find.
Some one have a solution.

than you

elforesto

Dabbler
Three hours of searching and I never found that bug or thread. I fail at Google-Fu today. Thanks for pointing it out to me. *slinks off into the corner*

Soloam

Contributor
According to the Bug Report the problem should be fixed in 9.2.1.1, but when I install it I have several problems starting the Sharing service. I will downgrade to 9.2.0 until this releases are more stable.

Soloam

Contributor
It's not a actual downgrade because the nas is still being tested! So I can intsll what ever I what! I'm still in development environment!

But from what I have read (but please don't take the word of a noob without researching) I guess you can install a older version of FreeNas if the zpol was not created in the new version! But cunsult a expert first validating this info!

Best regards

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, been testing with 9.2.0 and it works 100%, I can edit files and save them if I belong to the same group and permission is set to 770 (or 77*).

Will the new version support this? Or is 9.2.0 the end of this? I tried to test on 9.2.1.1, but a problem launching the sharing service didn't allowed me, I'll wait for a new release to test again. Hope that this problem is solved.

Soloam

Contributor
I'll try in the 9.2.1.2 and see if it's solved!

Soloam

Contributor
Hi all, just reporting the outcome of testing this situation on 9.2.1.2, the problem still exists, at least setting permissions by GUI. The version 9.2.0 was the last tested where this scenario worked.

Any one with luck setting permissions to groups on 9.2.1.2?

Best Regards
Soloam

Status
Not open for further replies.