Feedback on upgrades - RAM & SAS/Sata cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

shnurov

Explorer
Hello all!

It's been over a year I've built a FreeNAS system based on the Avoton 2750 CPU.
Originally I only had 2 sets : 4x4TB Red's in it & 4x 3TB Seagates.

Now I've added 4 more drives for archival purposes on the 2nd onboard Marvell controllers and there are reports of errors that aren't fixed by scrubs - remembering/reading that I shouldn't use them, I placed an order for an IBM M1015 controller - it should arrive shortly.

1st question: I will need SAS to Sata cables for the HBA controller - I can't figure out which ones I need, would these be OK? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S7KTVN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CMOOTCHB9X54&psc=1

2nd question: should I get more RAM as I now have more drives and TB's? How do I know that I need more? I have 3-4 computers that access it for photos/video files for my wedding photography studio. Other than a DNLA server, there are no extras running on it.
If yes, I still can't find any 32GB kits on the 'approved list by ASRock' for this board that don't cost an arm and a leg. Going to get another kit of 16gb or try to get a similar Crucial kit that is 32gb and see if there are compatibility issues?

I'm hoping to use this setup for another year or so and then upgrade everything into a larger board so I can add more hard drives/vdevs instead of replacing them with larger capacity.

Thanks!

1. Yep. That looks like the right cable.

2. More RAM is more better but I don't foresee problems using just the 16GB you have now. If you add the disks and notice reduced performance, then look at adding RAM.

Before the disk upgrade, make a note of your ARC Size and ARC Hit Ratio as well as the amount (if any) of swap in use. After a week or so with the new drives active, take a look at those three metrics. If you're having performance problems, the difference between those might help you confirm more RAM is required.

Cheers,
Matt

shnurov

Explorer
Ok - just received cables & card. Ram is on the way!

Now I have a question about the data corruption, I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I doesn't go away - it says to 'restore the file', but how do I find it? Here's what I get when I do 'zpool status arc2'

Code:
pool: arc2																	
state: ONLINE																 
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data		 
		corruption.  Applications may be affected.							 
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the		
		entire pool from backup.												
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A									 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 20h12m with 1 errors on Mon Nov 21 10:09:18 2016	
config:								   

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Use zpool status -v arc2 in order to have the corrupted files list ;)

shnurov

Explorer
Got it!

Code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:			 

arc2/archive-two@auto-20161114.2302-2w:/Weddings 2011/Arika_Ajay/Vera/12
6ND700_/1sArikaAJ/DSC_4977.JPG	 

So do I delete this file? I don't really care for one photo. Do I need to kill all the snapshots after this one for it to reset itself properly and restart my replication as it's been failing non stop since the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.