Feasibility of setup with 2 servers

Perpetua

Cadet
Hello there,

I would need some insights on the feasibility of a TrueNAS Scale idea.
Note that I am new to TrueNAS and I am mostly coming from a Windows Server background.

I have 2 servers:
  1. Dell PowerEdge R730 that it quite powerful (2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 768GB DD4 ECC, 6x1.2 TB HDD 10k (up to 8HDDs max)) that is used mainly for some VMs and other workloads
  2. HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 with more storage (though they will get replaced due to their old age), 23 HDD 10k SAS 600Go (will be replaced) (25 max).
Now, I would like to have TrueNAS Scale, on the Dell to manage VMs, workload, whatever I want to put on it, and use the second server as a Storage but managed by the Dell server and have my data pool there.

Is that possible ?
How would one do so ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is that possible ?
Short answer is "no". You could hack up the second server to effectively act as just a disk shelf... But that's a bit dodgy with hardware from HPE and company.

Perpetua

Cadet
Short answer is "no". You could hack up the second server to effectively act as just a disk shelf... But that's a bit dodgy with hardware from HPE and company.
That's a shame.
You would then recommend to have a powerful server with a lot of disk spaces (similar to my HP but newer) so I can have both my data pool and different workloads on it running at the same time ?

ingdager

Cadet
La respuesta corta es "no". Podrías hackear el segundo servidor para que actúe efectivamente como solo un estante de discos... Pero eso es un poco dudoso con el hardware de HPE y compañía.
hola perpetua yo estoy exactamente igual que tu por favor si logras hacer esa configuración compárteme el como, yo prometo hacer lo mismo, gracias