Faster Searching from Mac Spotlight or Finder of Freenas Files

kapitainsky

Dabbler
'll take care of that tomorrow as I still need to regenerate the debug logs and had a busy day.

Of course. Sure. Please try not to make it private so we can all provide feedback.

For me for example it is the last thing I need to go TrueNAS way - I like it a lot and I am happy with tinkering but can't understand why such basic functionality is missing - or even worse totally broken. Well - sort of understand that they focus on enterprise and SMB shares search is rather SOHO NAS story. I have tried Synology at friends and it works great - Spotlight angle. I am not religious about any solution - just need what works the best for my needs. Also frankly could not recommend TrueNAS to anybody for home use without this working. But first I will try to make it work:)

phradr

Dabbler
Finally I opened a ticket at iXsystems. Sadly it is not possible to set this available for public. It is set to private per default and at least external reporters (like me) aren't allowed to change this.

Anyways, if they decide to change the visibility, you will find the ticket here (LINK).

For now it seems all we can do is lean back and wait.

Have a nice weekend :)

Attachments

• Jira-ES-SMB-issue.jpg
    Jira-ES-SMB-issue.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 187

danb35

Hall of Famer
Please try not to make it private so we can all provide feedback.
All tickets are made private by default; this is said to be so that iX can screen them for private information. I don't know if a statement in the text, or a comment, of a ticket would help them more quickly decide that it can be made public.

phradr

Dabbler
All tickets are made private by default; this is said to be so that iX can screen them for private information. I don't know if a statement in the text, or a comment, of a ticket would help them more quickly decide that it can be made public.
So, I wrote a comment to my ticket and asked for setting its visibility to public.

kapitainsky

Dabbler
@phradr curious if you managed to try elasticsearch with TN Scale? I think that because it is based on Debian it should work as Samba on Debian does not need any patches.

phradr

Dabbler
@phradr curious if you managed to try elasticsearch with TN Scale? I think that because it is based on Debian it should work as Samba on Debian does not need any patches.
Not yet. Have some other additional and for me a bit more important construction areas.

nidur

Dabbler
I am wondering if anyone has gotten elasticsearch to work with TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1 after it was updated to Samba 4.15.10

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Nope. And to my knowledge you should give up any hope that it will ever work. Said that you can always spin virtual machine and do all from there - what you need is non TrueNAS Samba. Especially with TrueNAS Core making elasticsearch to work would require too many changes in Samba - its priority is to be rock solid for existing services not bringing new features. You might have more luck with SCALE but last time I checked it was the same.

phradr

Dabbler
But we need to underline that it is NOT Elasticsearch what is not working, it is Samba! This sadly is a decision made by iX-Systems.

You will be able to get ES to run and be accessable. Read through this thread and you will find everything you need.

BUT: Samba will not make proper use of the response delivered by the ES API.

This is valid for Core as well as for SCALE.

Like others in this long thread - found myself wanting spotlight to work on my MacOS devices using my NAS, found this thread - read it thoroughly and read the ticket (created and referenced by phradr above) that was closed Feb 27, 2023.
Correct me if I understand this improperly: If I REALLY wanted to use TrueNAS and Universal Search for my MacOS devices - I'd have to do a deep dive to get a non-TrueNAS Samba running with TrueNAS - and then all the elastic work that phradr, kapitainsky and earlier in the thread did would work properly. I'm just trying to get a clear expectation of effort required before I decide wether or not to go in this direction.

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Like others in this long thread - found myself wanting spotlight to work on my MacOS devices using my NAS, found this thread - read it thoroughly and read the ticket (created and referenced by phradr above) that was closed Feb 27, 2023.
Correct me if I understand this improperly: If I REALLY wanted to use TrueNAS and Universal Search for my MacOS devices - I'd have to do a deep dive to get a non-TrueNAS Samba running with TrueNAS - and then all the elastic work that phradr, kapitainsky and earlier in the thread did would work properly. I'm just trying to get a clear expectation of effort required before I decide wether or not to go in this direction.
As I understand this ticket status it is not closed but only "Suggestion Accepted" - good that somebody sees the point in enabling it. But nothing has been done yet.

What I did to have Spotlight working is to run Debian VM and do everything from there. Not ideal solution but let me to have "search server" where using Spotlight I can find what I need including OCR processed scanned documents (probably main thing I needed).

It is actually not so difficult as in latest Debian it works out of the box.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There's some problem with Samba parsing Elsstic's results. If I am not mistaken that is supposed to get fixed in U5. Then we can try a fresh attempt running Elastic and the indexer in a jail, for example.

Last edited:

kapitainsky

Dabbler
There's some problem with Samba parsing Elsstic's results. If I am not mistaken that is supposed to get fixed in U5. Then we can try a fresh attempt running Elastic and the indexer in a jail, for example.
it would be fantastic news. Have you seen any commits related to it?

If working than it makes all setup much easier with elasticsearch running in jail.

phradr

Dabbler
As far as I remember the reason why ES search was disabled in TrueNAS was a permission issue.

I haven‘t doublechecked that, but could imagine, that it might be possible to find things within a shared folder with ES support that would not be possible without it, for example…

If you (@JustAnotherNasUser) don‘t have such scenario, the way @kapitainsky described in short would be the way to go for you. If you know what you are doing setting that up might take only one to two hours. With obvious issues you might also find help here. I have written an how to guide that describes at least the setup for ES and a crawler, that speeds up everything a lot (link). If you have some additional steps, it would be great if you add them ;)

@Patrick M. Hausen where did you get that info from? It would be great, if there is still some progress on this topic! :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Remark by @anodos in one of the threads discussing Samba <> Elastic integration. @anodos would you mind giving us the current state of affairs? A fixed version if Samba is really al that we would need. I for one am more than willing to write a resource documenting the rest of the setup. No official Spotlight support necessary, nor expected. But a working smbd is unfortunately mandatory.

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Remark by @anodos in one of the threads discussing Samba <> Elastic integration. @anodos would you mind giving us the current state of affairs? A fixed version if Samba is really al that we would need. I for one am more than willing to write a resource documenting the rest of the setup. No official Spotlight support necessary, nor expected. But a working smbd is unfortunately mandatory.

Myself also more than happy to participate in documenting how to and various my findings. @phradr did good docker piece already (it would be for Scale). I think there are few people on this forum able to do step by step guide in no time as soon as smbd works.

awasb

Patron

kapitainsky

Dabbler
On vanilla FreeBSD 13 "it just works" (maybe "worked"*) ...

(*) Mind the mentioned versions!
Yes I have no issue to make it work on FreeBSD or Debian. Problem is samba implementation on TN - it does not process ES responses due to some changes.

thesedays

Cadet
Hello,

wondering if there are any news about this?

It's really disappointing that 'Spotlight Search' seems to be still not supported 'out of the box' for mounted SMB shares of a TrueNAS system.

Synology has is, also QNAP, but the impressive TrueNAS can't implement this?

I've found this tutorial from end of May 2023: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scaletutorials/communityrecommends/spotlightsupportsamba/

So it looks like, thats the 'status' also mid of August 2023?

Thanks for help & suggestions.