Failure to boot after config change

Status
Not open for further replies.

debdrup

Cadet
Hello folks,
I'm not a very bright person (in fact, I'm so not-bright that I didn't back up my config either), and as such I should've known this would happen: I was setting up FreeBSD 8.2.0-BETA3 and had just finished transmission and flexget in a jail and went to put the console messages in the bottom, noticed Autotune and read up on it on the wiki, then decided it couldn't hurt to enable it. However, what I may have also done is enable Serial Console (I'm not completely sure on this, however) and now my system is stuck here with just the spinning thing not spinning (and stopping after a very short time).
I did some googling and found how to enable serial console on FreeBSD so on advise of Survive_ in irc I put mfsbsd on an extra usb disk and booted it, then mounted /dev/da1s1a on /mnt/key - however, /mnt/key/boot/loader.conf contains no mention of console, so I don't think that's it.

And here is the answer: Boot to mfsbsd or livecd, mount /dev/da1s1a in /mnt, comment out or remove 'console="comconsole"' from /mnt/boot/loader.conf.local and reboot the system, then remove the USB stick.

I hereby request this thread be locked (or deleted, to hide my shame :().

joyofduck

Cadet
I did back up my large and complex config, just after enabling the serial console on a machine that has no serial port - Duh!

Effectively created the same problem.

I guess I need to work out how to remove the option from the backup database.

Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.