Exact Opposite of Install. Secure Delete/Scrub/Rest

mcmaguire

Cadet
Getting rid of my TrueNAS server.

How do I securely scrub all files off the machine?

How do I completely reset and delete all configuration information off the user interface?

Please and thanks. A pointer to a webpage with instructions suitable for a User and not an Administrator would be appreciated.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

mcmaguire

Cadet
Okay. Go to Storage...Pools. Select each pool then use the > on the right hand edge to Delete each pool. The last pool has to be Export/Disconnect. Then you go to Storage...Disks. Select each disk, use the > on to expand the disk details. Scroll to the bottom and select Wipe. Then choose wipe Quick, Ones and Zeroes, or Random Data. It takes about 20 seconds to random wipe 0.01% or 5 hours for a 3 TB disk. I ran each of my 6 drives twice.

Still trying to figure out how to clear all settings (i.e. email info) from the configuration.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Still trying to figure out how to clear all settings (i.e. email info) from the configuration.
Erase the boot device(s) with dd or a dedicated tool like I already suggested. Remove the boot device(s) from the NAS and apply a hammer. Whatever. The configuration is stored on the boot device. Erase or destroy it - done.