Ethernet card not found (I217V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstTimer

Cadet
I started with FreeNas8, which seems to boot fine on my machine, but the built-in ethernet adapter is not recognized.

Details:
ASRock Z87E-ITX Motherboard
Giga PHY Intel I217V

In dmesg, it only says:
pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 25.0 (no driver attached).

I tried enabling the 'em' and 'igb' driver as described in the FreeBSD manual, but adding to loader.conf didn't work. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=em&sektion=4

I found a download of the driver source, but have no idea how to integrate that into an image that I can burn to my bootable thumb drive.... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17509&keyword=freebsd&lang=eng

In FreeNas9, the install craps out much earlier (and I don't have that error message handy).

I'm hoping someone else has solved this and can pass along some pointers to this noob.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, that NIC is so new it isn't in FreeNAS yet. You should put a ticket in at support.freenas.org and request it be added.

What you need to do is add the driver and recompile a new kernel for FreeNAS.

It's not trivial to do, so my advice would be to put a ticket in but add a PCIe NIC for the time being.

Nomad

Contributor
Yeah, that NIC is so new it isn't in FreeNAS yet. You should put a ticket in at support.freenas.org and request it be added.

What you need to do is add the driver and recompile a new kernel for FreeNAS.

It's not trivial to do, so my advice would be to put a ticket in but add a PCIe NIC for the time being.

Anyone know if this has been updated? I just realize my MB has the same NIC and I'm still testing on my Dev Machine but was ready move everything over to the purpose build machine tonight until I read this.

Nomad

Contributor
Great.... :(

Bug #3099

f52e4b433ac1a3dd397a26939f847faa
Intel I217V NIC support
Added by realdreams - about 1 month ago.
Priority: Normal Due date:
Assignee: - % Done:
0%
Category: -
Target version: -
Seen in: 9.1.1-RELEASE
Description
It's supported in FreeBSD 9.2, but not in current FreeNAS release.

Nomad

Contributor

Nomad

Contributor
Intel I217V

Confirmed working in 9.1.1 :)

ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87

Status
Not open for further replies.