ESXi Template Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0re

Dabbler
Simple question today boys and girls. Is there any performance benefit to deploying VMs form a template on an iSCSI or NFS share? The reason I wonder about this is because of the way the ZFS uses ARC. If you deploy from a template, will it cause all the VMs to refer back to the data in the template? If so, I suspect that the ARC will become massively more useful.

Of course, this is all speculative and probably depends heavily on how VMware handles template deployments at a lower level, which I'm not too familiar with. I'm guessing one of the smart people here do though :)

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Unless you are bold/crazy enough to enable dedup, clone and deploy operations now create full copy of the data. The only optimization is there for iSCSI -- VMware will use VAAI to offload the copy operation to storage, that should save network bandwidth and complete much faster. If your VM completely fit into ARC, then VAAI should make copying very fast.

zambanini

Patron
with vmware view you have linked clones, but the usual vsphere stuff will be a full copy without any reference to its 'master'

Status
Not open for further replies.