Esxi 6.5 + FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
Wrong. You can pass through integrated components.
There is a specific set of conditions that need to be met in order to pass through integrated hardware components. If you have hardware that can do it, then by all means go for it. Considering the amount of FreeNAS users on this forum tend to use off the shelf components from the likes of Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI, not necessarily sever hardware such as SuperMicro or Tyan, there is a chance that it may or may not work.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

joeschmuck

Old Man
I know you cannot always pass through all the devices, it realy depends on the hardware/chipset. If someone is looking to pass motherboard devices then they should do thier homework to ensure it's truely capable of doing completely what they want. Making assumptions could mean spending more money for an add-on card.

When I started into ESXi I had no idea that if I shares a SATA controller with one VM meant that I couldn't share it with a second VM. Example, I want to dedicate SATA ports 0 and 1 to a Windoze VM and dedicate SATA port 2 through 7 to FreeNAS VM. I can't do that if they are the same controller. I didn't know that at the time but I know better now.

markymark832

Dabbler
I have been able to pass through the HBA controller on this motherboard no issues with esxi 6.5

shog

Cadet
I'm already running a dell t5600 24x7 with esxi 6.5 pimped up with memory and ssd etc for data stores
Hi - I'm struggling with getting esxi anything installed on a Dell T5600 - I've tried the various ignoreHeadless=TRUE, preferVmklinux=TRUE, formatwithmbr arguments but (dependent on version) it either hangs at relocating the modules, resets the box or gets "out of resources" errors earlier in the process.
Would you mind sharing what you did to get it on there and working?
Many thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.