only can see disk on static discovery

but when I rescan LUN it can't not see any iSCSI disk

this issue does not found on ESXi 4.0 , 4.1

may be ESXi 5.0 not support FreeNAS

When I test use Windows Storage server 2008 R2 iscsi Target

it can work normal .

fjompa

Cadet
Im not using freenas, but still Freebsd and istgt and i have the same problem.
I upgraded from esxi 4.1 to 5.0 and now i only see the target name in static discovery, no disk.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

Just wanted to add my name to the list. I updated from 4.1u1 to 5.0 last night and can't seem to get ESXi to see a disk from the FreeNAS box.

-Will

wasatchwired

Cadet
I have a windows server 2003 running Starwind ISCSI server. I have the same issue. I'm guessing that it's a VSphere 5 issue. The only way I can see the ISCSI device is using the Static Discovery tab. But it never shows the devices after scanning. I also have a FreeNAS 8 box with the same issue.

I tried diffirent versions of NASes like openfiler and other only euronas worked fine with ESXi 5.0 but it's not freeware

mfannin

Cadet
I had the same issue with FreeNAS 8, iSCSI worked fine when using ESXi 4. I upgraded to ESXi 5 last night and when using Dynamic Discovery it would see the LUNs in the Static Discovery tab. When I tried to add storage, the ESXi 5 server couldn't see any iSCSI LUNs. Testing the same FreeNAS install against ESXi 4 all the LUNs were visible and configurable.

I installed and configured Openfiler 2.99 with iSCSI LUNs and both ESXi 4 and ESXi 5 can see all the LUNs now.

DJProject

Cadet
Hi there!

I've the same problem: ESXi 4.1 with FreeNAS 7.3 iSCSI - everything is ok, ESXi 5 and FreeNAS 7.3 ISCSI - no LUN's are detected by ESXi 5.

My temporary solution - I think it's working with FreeNAS 8 too: I've installed Openfiler 2.99 in a VM, Openfiler is connected to FreeNAS with iSCSI (OpenFiler is the iSCSI Initiator) and ESXi 5 is connected to OpenFiler with iSCSI (OpenFiler is the iSCSI Target). Everything is working fine.

I use FreeNAS for backup only. The performance is a little bit slower (FreeNAS only approximately 600 MBit/s / 72 MByte/s, OpenFiler and FreeNAS combination approximately 540 MBit/s / 64 MByte/s).

The installation took me ~1 hour.

As i said: it's only a temporary solution!

Best regards, Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.