Error: Devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusky

Dabbler
The error is: The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

This is the output of zpool status -v

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:01:57 with 1 errors on Tue Apr 24 03:46:57 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U4@2018-01-22-21:12:34:/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/__pycache__/zfs.cpy
thon-36.pyc

Is this something I should be worried about?

PhilipS

Contributor
It's your boot drive, so your data is safe, but it probably needs replaced. If you are using USB sticks, you can set them up as mirrors that will keep you online for when this happens again. I gave up on them and put a small SSD or SATA DOM in my servers.

Rusky

Dabbler
Other than backing up my config, should I make any other backups?

And to replace the USB, I would just download a fresh copy of the OS, boot from it and upload the config?

PhilipS

Contributor
Other than backing up my config, should I make any other backups?
Yes you should have a backup of your data as a general rule - but no, reinstalling the OS will not affect your data.

And to replace the USB, I would just download a fresh copy of the OS, boot from it and upload the config?
Yes, if using flash, use 3 USB flash drives - one with the installation media (or use IPMI or whatever if your hardware has it), and 2 to install FreeNAS onto as a mirror, or you can just use 2 and then convert the boot disk to a mirror after the install is done. You want to have it mirrored to have decent availability as USB flash drives are mostly crap these days.

1 SSD > 2 USB flash and updates install A LOT faster.

Rusky

Dabbler
Yes you should have a backup of your data as a general rule - but no, reinstalling the OS will not affect your data.

Is it as simple as creating a new installation media, install it on 2 mirrored usb drives, go through the initial setup and then import the config?

PhilipS

Contributor
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.