Email Notification After Rsync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
I have two FreeNAS Mini's in geographically separated locations that every night rsync their respective "main" datasets to a "backup" dataset on the other NAS. Works great right now, but I've like for it to notify me upon completion just in case that stops being the case. What's the easiest way to have the system email me after the completion of each rsync job? I can see setting a cron job to mail me a tail from the rsync logfiles, but I'd prefer it if the email were only sent once the rsync job was complete. Any suggestions?

fracai

Guru
I think the easiest way to achieve this would be a script that runs the ranch task and then outputs a success message. Run it from cron and you'll get the email when it's done.

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
I think the easiest way to achieve this would be a script that runs the ranch task and then outputs a success message. Run it from cron and you'll get the email when it's done.
Yeah, that occurred to me. The thing is, with two multi-terabyte backups already in place, I'm terrified that if I don't get the manual/custom rsync configuration exactly right, I'm going to end up needing to try to re-create the backups from scratch over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.