Dual Expander Backplane ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taccess

Cadet
Hi

I have ordered a z820. I have also just ordered a 12/Gbs LSI 9361-8i 2Gb

The hard drives will be 8 x 12Gb/s ST4000NM0025 SAS Drives ( w/Dual Port )

I am wondering about dual port and how it works and what benefits there are?

I am using Windows 10 and have read MPIO is what i will need as well as a dual expander back plane ?

I believe the 9361-8i goes into the PCIe slot then a cable goes to the dual expander and from the dual expander to each of the SAS drives ! is my assumption correct ? is MPIO a driver or software ?

Can someone help me understand this please and if there are the benefits to this extended setup .

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi

I have ordered a z820. I have also just ordered a 12/Gbs LSI 9361-8i 2Gb

The hard drives will be 8 x 12Gb/s ST4000NM0025 SAS Drives ( w/Dual Port )

I am wondering about dual port and how it works and what benefits there are?

I am using Windows 10 and have read MPIO is what i will need as well as a dual expander back plane ?

I believe the 9361-8i goes into the PCIe slot then a cable goes to the dual expander and from the dual expander to each of the SAS drives ! is my assumption correct ? is MPIO a driver or software ?

Can someone help me understand this please and if there are the benefits to this extended setup .
Why would you order hardware you don't understand and if you are using Windows 10 on that hardware, why would you ask your question in a forum that is about FreeNAS?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Thread closed as unrelated to these forums. @Taccess, if we have misunderstood, please contact me with a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.