Doubts about 1 or 2 vdevs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajschot

Patron
Hi everyone,

I am testing my new Freenas with old drives just so i kan mess it up and i won't loose any data. It is fun and much faster then my ReadyNAS.

My hardware:
AMD A8-7600
ASRock FM2A88X Pro3+
32Gb RAM DDR3 1600 Crusial Blistix Sport CL9 (2kits of 2x8GB)
16Gb USB3 for FreeNAS
HDD's will be 4x3TB and 4x4TB

Now i red a lot of ZFS and option that i have, i see two options 1 vdev Raidz2 or 2 vdevs Raidz1

I thinking about 8 disks in 1 vdev RaidZ2 which will give me 18TB pool.
I am thinking about to upgrade all 3TB disks to 4TB in the future so it will make sense to just use 1 vdev in RaidZ2
Main thing is data, my photo library (also backup online! and tested to put it back OK), PLEX, iTunes library and TimeMachine backups for mac.

I tried to find out of there is an a performance difference and how about the resilver time?
When i think about it it sounds logical that resilver of 1 vdev of 4 drives is faster then resilver a vdev of 8 disks, but also if you have 7 disks left to get data from all disk will give max speed so it could be faster...
Proberbly it does not matter in speed becuase the empty disk can't write faster then the others combined.

Then comes an otherthing to mind.... when i use 2 vdevs and have to resilver one of them then i stress-out just 3 disks.... in a vdev of 8 disks i stress-out 7...

What do you guys think? For space 18TB is for now enough knowing only that one of the 3TB id used before for a year but in a desktop that is why i want to know about resilver to be sure to make the best choice.
I know a vdev RaidZ1 is offcourse less redundancy becuase it is just 1 disk in one vdev.

ajschot

Patron
Decided to use 1 vdev in Raidz2 so i can upgrade the disks and have safer redundancy then 2 vdevs in Raidz1

Status
Not open for further replies.