Does VMware-Snapshots works for VMware vSphere 8

Leif

Cadet
Hi,
Can anyone confirm that scheduled or manual ZFS snapshot on VMware-Snapshots actually works on the VMware side for VMware vSphere 8.x.x, x

Why i'm asking is because i can't see any "Recent Tasks" or activity in VMware vSphere for vCenter or ESXi for my TrueNAS account runs automatically snapshots
on running VMware virtual machines before taking a scheduled or manual ZFS snapshot of my dataset or zvol.

My system
TrueNAS Core TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

VMware vCenter Server, 8.0.0.10100
VMware ESXi, 8.0.0, 20513097

TxAggieEngineer

Dabbler
Hi,
Can anyone confirm that scheduled or manual ZFS snapshot on VMware-Snapshots actually works on the VMware side for VMware vSphere 8.x.x, x

Why i'm asking is because i can't see any "Recent Tasks" or activity in VMware vSphere for vCenter or ESXi for my TrueNAS account runs automatically snapshots
on running VMware virtual machines before taking a scheduled or manual ZFS snapshot of my dataset or zvol.

My system
TrueNAS Core TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

VMware vCenter Server, 8.0.0.10100
VMware ESXi, 8.0.0, 20513097
I can confirm that TrueNAS-initiated snapshots work fine with vCenter 8.

TN 13.0-U5.3
vCenter 8.0.1, 22088981

pricemc1

Dabbler
I can confirm that TrueNAS-initiated snapshots work fine with vCenter 8.

TN 13.0-U5.3
vCenter 8.0.1, 22088981
I am having the same experience as Leif. Can you provide a bit more detail about how things look on your system? What are you seeing that is confirming to you that the VMware snaphot integration is operating properly?

Typically, I would expect to see a set of snapshot creation and snapshot removal tasks initiated in vCenter using the credentials provided when setting up the dataset\datastore fields in the VMware snapshot portion in Truenas. In my environment I see no evidence of the account credentials I provided attempting to login to vCenter to initiate the snapshot tasks on behalf of Truenas. I know the credentials I used for setting up the integration are valid though because during the setup of the dataset\datstore relationship in Truenas it is able to properly fetch the datastores from vCenter. I have tried this with both iSCSI and NFS datastores hosted on the Truenas and using snapshots manually initiated in the Truenas GUI.

Thanks,
pricemc1

TxAggieEngineer

Dabbler
Snapshot creation and removal tasks are exactly what I see in my vCenter at the time the integrated snapshots are scheduled (screen shot attached).

Also, there are tasks that show up in the Task Manager in the array itself.

I'm using iSCSI and ZVOL's exclusively and have not tried this with NFS.

Attachments

• vcenter_snapshots.png
    vcenter_snapshots.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 86
  • vmware_snapshots_truenas.png
    vmware_snapshots_truenas.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 84